4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Datacities Hosting, Pro or Con?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
The VLBG
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:11 pm (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Has anyone used this host? Opinions please!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by The VLBGSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:11 am (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

A few comments I'd like to make:

- 99% uptime is actually not very good, since it means that your site can be down for approximately 7h20 per month.
- They must be overselling is their plans include a huge amount of bandwidth and space.

Here are a few posts about them from WebHostingTalk:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=268373
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=281339
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=258201
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=246786

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:20 pm (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thank you for the links. Have used that forums search and came up with more information.

I do find your comment about "99%" uptime a little strange.

My Employer is a VERY large Transportation Company that relies almost totally on a mainframe that is integrated into virtually every facet of Operations. They do system upgrades every Sunday which takes from around 30" to 1 hour. So right there we have over 7 hours a year in planned downtime. Would just guess that there is another 40 or 50 hours a year of unscheduled downtime at the system level and about 40 to 50 hours of localized downtime, some of which occurs at critical locations.

Would consider this to be fairly good performance, during the early 90's at most locations you could expect two or three hours a day of downtime.

Perhaps the bar is being set too high.

Don't know which way I'm going to go. Have Equivity, Fever Host, and Host Gator on my short list also.

Have also looked at dedicated hosting from EZPublishing but do not think I have either the ability or time to manage it. Their control panel system scares me off a little. Like WHM and am trying to keep it.

Yes, I've carried on too much but got a lot on my mind.

Any opinions would be helpfull.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by The VLBGSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:07 pm (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

These days the downtime you talk about in your post is considered to be quite a lot. But if you don't mind 7 hours per month, then that's fine - it all depends on what you're hosting. Can you imagine if Google was down for 8 hours every month? Smile

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:24 pm (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Google down for 8 hours a month? That is hard for me to put in context as I don't use that particular search.

Pretty sure I'm going to go with Datacities based on price. Should be better than what I have now.

Thanks for paying attention and if anyone wishes I'll keep this going as the process continues.
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: