4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

[Fixed] Ad System Rigged - Really Pathetic
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:16 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'll get Jayant on it ASAP. He's on MSN, but I'm not sure he's around...

Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:33 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

1) The script is working fine without any problems.
2) The ad being shown are not the default ones but of Daniel. He has the most posts in the forums. right? The default ad says "4WebHelp.net" and not "4WebHelp"
3) For one post in forum, one gets 5 ads impressions on 4WH.
4) Ads of all the rest who are eligible => have added ad url, description etc in profile, are finished. I can't do much about this. can I?

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:29 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I've removed my ad. Smile

Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:30 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Are the impressions finished already? I'm getting the default ad too...

Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:15 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
Are the impressions finished already? I'm getting the default ad too...

As I said in my earlier post:
jayant wrote:
Ads of all the rest who are eligible => have added ad url, description etc in profile, are finished.

You were the only one left Daniel, so when you removed you ad, no one left Sad

So what ratio do we keep, or change the algorithm entirely like using round-robin method where all people get equal number of ads irrespective of the number of their posts and choose from ads of only those people who posted within last XX days.

OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:29 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Can you ad some more impressions per post? Like 10 per post (it's 5 now, isn't it)?

Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:15 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
Can you ad some more impressions per post? Like 10 per post (it's 5 now, isn't it)?

Set it to 20 from 5. how long will these last, 1-2 weeks max. (and you have also removed your ad Wink )

we need to think of some better algorithm

verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:06 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

jayant wrote:
...we need to think of some better algorithm

it's looking a little better now -- i saw two ads for Maple Designs when I came in. Smile

However if you're going to the trouble of redoing the algorithm, then I'd also suggest not having two identical ads showing up simultaneously if there are two different ones that can be shown. Idea Smile

(While I was previewing this post, also just saw two simultaneous ads for 'Unix Scripting,' and then later two simultaneous for 'Fancy Rats.')

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
:::
.: :. . : :....: :.: .: :. verto .: :. . : :....: :.: .: :.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 8:10 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I *think* (not sure though), that when you see two ads for the same site, only one ad impression is counted. Jayant will have to confirm though...

Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:41 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
I *think* (not sure though), that when you see two ads for the same site, only one ad impression is counted. Jayant will have to confirm though...

Earlier it wasnt but now it is like that.

verto wrote:
However if you're going to the trouble of redoing the algorithm, then I'd also suggest not having two identical ads showing up simultaneously if there are two different ones that can be shown.

There aren't much troubles in redoing the algo. when initially everything is done in a modular way Smile Change it to like that. If you do see identical ads, buzz me.

just looking by the # of replies to this post I guess this will make into top active topics on 4WH shortly Wink

jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:46 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

just noticed I had the extra "$" $$blockid instead of $blockid, due to which second ad was the default one to be chosen. fixed it.

Though this happened for 2 minutes only. Sorry for those who saw those default ads in that time.

verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 8:09 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

jayant wrote:
...If you do see identical ads, buzz me....
you mean you've fixed that ? Question
the identical ads i mentioned seeing in my post above were over more than a 2-minute period ... but I wouldn't tell you about it again until you've tried to fix it

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 4:16 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

verto wrote:
you mean you've fixed that ? Question
the identical ads i mentioned seeing in my post above were over more than a 2-minute period ... but I wouldn't tell you about it again until you've tried to fix it

Couldnt really understand what u meant? confused the two posts?
The two minute thing is that when I changed the code to make sure both ads are different, the second ad came was the default one.

As of now no-one should be seeing both ads same. I am confident. but this is only untill your ad impressions(set to 20 per post) are there, else it will be the defaults ads Wink

verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:39 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

jayant, i understand the first part about the 2-minute thing, but am in the dark about the ad impressions.
jayant wrote:
... but this is only untill your ad impressions(set to 20 per post) are there, else it will be the defaults ads Wink

Does this matter at all if you don't have any ads of your own? Can you direct me to a thread about that if the explanation's long? Most of what I know about this site's ad ystem is just from this thread and from observing it in action. Wink Smile

Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:13 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

This is how the system works:

If you have an ad, it will be displayed x times. To calculate x, take your post count, and multiply it by 20. [Edit: now 400!]

If you have no ad, none will be displayed Smile

If everyone has had their share of ads, a default ad will be displayed.

Last edited by Daniel on Sun May 04, 2003 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DanielSend Personal Message
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next