4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Anyone ever come to this Digitalrice.com Free Web hosting
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
tyj82
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 3:35 am (21 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

What do you think about this free web hosting service

they provide
email address
5 MB Disk Space
Web Mail/POP 3
ASP, CGI, PHP, Perl
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by tyj82Send Personal Message
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:03 am (21 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Is not free anymore, you have to make a donation to be accepted
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:55 am (21 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Also they run on Windows systems, which isn't exactly my favourite! Sad

About a year ago I signed up for an account, waited ages for my account to be approved, and then I found out that using FTP you can enter anyone's website directory on the server! Rolling Eyes

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:40 pm (21 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I found you could peek in other peoples directories on Sourceforge, not edit, but download - bad if something top secret is on there Confused
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jrHOSTINGSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteAOL Instant MessengerMSN Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:13 pm (21 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yes, that's because they provide shell access (and if it possible via FTP, then it doesn't really matter since you can do it via SSH). Sourceforge also thoroughly screen applicants to their free web space offer for OS projects. However, having other people's files accessible via FTP is really silly, since it's so easy to prevent it. It may no longer be the case, but it was when I signed up.

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:07 am (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I've had a site with them for a couple of years now. I originally signed up to use it as a small portfolio site, but due to continual heavy downtime (for the couple of months I was monitoring it, my site was often down between 25-50% each week), eventually stopped using it for my original purpose.

I've kept the site, but in my experience, their servers had way too much downtime for a professional hosting service.

On the other hand, if you're just starting out, don't want to invest much money, and don't mind not having access to your site all the time, it might be a good place to start learning CGI, Perl, etc.

They may well have improved in the last six months or so, but I'd advise checking out their forums before making any big plans, and also to get a better idea about what it'd be like to host there.

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
:::
.: :. . : :....: :.: .: :. verto .: :. . : :....: :.: .: :.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: