4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Transfering phpBB DB to a new domain
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 7:19 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

How easy would it be to transfer a phpBB db from one domain to another, as a site I am developing now wants a forum up, but haven't bought their domain up, and I was wondering if I can set a seperate one up and transfer the data at a later stage, would this be possible?

Cheers

Justin
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 7:21 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Not sure I understand. Do you want help with backing up and re-uploading a db? If so, you wrote a tutorial about it yourself!

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 7:23 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
Not sure I understand. Do you want help with backing up and re-uploading a db? If so, you wrote a tutorial about it yourself!

I'll explain better :

A website I am developing for, has not decided on a domain name yet, so I am hosting them on a subdomain of one of my domains until they get the domain they want to host on, so therefore, if i use phpbb, the forum would live in http://something.myjsn.ws/forum for example, but when they get their domain, the forum would be re-installed at http://www.domain.com/forum, would the date be able to be transfered without any problems, or would it screw up?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 7:30 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

There are only a couple of fields in the db about domain/path, and you can edit those when you change the domain, some time in the future. phpBB can be moved to a different location very easily.

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 12:59 am (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

though it can be a pain in the neck to move a large database on dial up.....

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 1:01 am (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yeah, but I haven't got a problem with phpMyAdmin, as my server has 2.2.6 installed when it is ready, it's just been sent for co-location (my hosts server) and I'm just awaiting it.
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 1:08 am (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I remember uploading a 20mb db on dialup, had to split it up into about 50 chunks Sad

Took me about 4 hours..... Then I found a great yabb se database backup restore script that you just ftp the dump to the server with and then run it and it saves hours....

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: