4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

[Fixed] Make a custom 404!
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
roly
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 1:00 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

i wanted to see if you had a custom 404 but trying to make a 404 gave me this...

Quote:

Not Found
The requested URL /Yummy in my tummy! A 404! was not found on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.19 Server at www.4webhelp.net Port 80

so make a custom 404!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by rolySend Personal MessageSend email
Garth Farley
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 1:10 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I think the 4webhelp team are planning on making a site with no broken links. It is the better way to go.

Do Cyberwings have the lastest release of Apache on their servers, because that would suggest the correct page? Then a custom 404 would screw up this handy function, which I've come across a few times already.

Garth Farley
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by Garth FarleySend Personal Message
roly
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 1:56 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

No, not the leatest. Cyberwings use 1.3.19 the latest is 1.3.23
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by rolySend Personal MessageSend email
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 8:48 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Custom Error Pages are not at the top of our to do list Roland, sorry.

They will come, just wait a bit. Are they that important??

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:44 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

When you get around to doing a custom 404, maybe you should make it one that either keeps a log or e-mails you, so that if they are caused by broken links you will be able to fix them quickly.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by pepitoeSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteMSN Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:47 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yes, we will probably do that. That's the way it was at users.f2s, so I don't see why it shouldn't be like that here.

Just one thing: we can already find out the top 404 errors in our stats (don't know how many), so this might not be really needed.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 2:23 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Is that on the web stats or just in a log on the server? Looking at my web stats I can't see any specific list of 404 errors or any other types of error, and I know there should be some. All I can tell is how many times it has shown the error_docs/notfound.html page, so I find my e-mail 404 page very useful, apart from the numerous requests for robots.txt, but that is easy enough to fix when I get around to it.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by pepitoeSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteMSN Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 2:28 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

We are using AWStats, which tells us this, using the stuff in the logs.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 2:48 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I see, I only have the normal Webalizer. I might have to try AWStats one day, is it easy to install, and is it a big improvement over webalizer?
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 2:55 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I don't think it's difficult to install, but to be sure, ask Peter. The main improvement over Webalizer is that Plesk lists internal pages in your top referrers, whereas AWStats doesn't.

For example, on Plesk, your referrers list might look like this:

Code:

http://www.mydomain.com/page1.html
http://www.areferringdomain.com/page.html
http://www.mydomain.com/page2.html
http://www.mydomain.com/page3.html

which means that you don't see all the interesting referrers.

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: