4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Review My test site please
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 7:15 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Quote:

Not sure if its the same on a PC but the Mac version of Netscape 4.77 is diplaying the text so small it is virtually unreadable (prefs at default settings).

Same as I get here on Netscape 4.6, even if i specify the fonts to be bigger with something like <font size="4"> , also the <B> tag doesn't seem to do anything in Netscape either, as a lot of stuff is in bold but showing up as regular text.

It is still that small, but without the stylesheets it is fine,
Quote:

If you want more consistency across different browsers try setting your font sizes in pixels rather than points. Although this has the unfortunate effect of stopping users of some browsers from magnifying the text.

I may play about with this over the weekend and see what results I get Smile
Quote:

or what about different stylesheets for different platforms so everything is at its optimum. Just a thought.

I could, but am already getting frustrated about how many times I have had to recode the site, but if I get the time I will give it a go perhaps
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
tyjtyj
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:13 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

when i first look at it i though i was create be big company microsoft,dell,or some search company

it is nice
you wont knowtice that it was design be ONE person

Garth Farley
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 12:57 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

tyjtyj wrote:

when i first look at it i though i was create be big company microsoft,dell,or some search company

it is nice
you wont knowtice that it was design be ONE person

That's the point! Give a professional image. If you had a site which was thrown together using a Frontpage Express template, customers would run away from you!

Quote:
If you want more consistency across different browsers try setting your font sizes in pixels rather than points. Although this has the unfortunate effect of stopping users of some browsers from magnifying the text.

Strange, quite the opposite of what I thought. When you set the text-size in a stylesheet, whether in pixels or points, the resize-font button is ignored usually. It's been depreciated, giving webmasters a supposed control over what a surfer sees.

I always use points, and have never found much difference between the browsers. I suggest increasing the point size by one, perhaps Netscape will obey this time.

Stylesheets are supposed to supercede font tags, but in practise, the browser usually takes the tag nearest to the word. So if you have:

Code:

<stlye type="test/css">
p {font-family: Arial; }
</style>

<p><font face="Verdana">Will appear in Verdana"></p>

Quote:
or what about different stylesheets for different platforms so everything is at its optimum. Just a thought.

Oh don't be cruel, have you followed this thread? Justin has recoded the page three times now. And doing such a thing would be a hell of a lot of work, not very reliable as Opera can pretend to be anything. And there a lot of browsers out there: IEs, Netscapes, Operas, Mozilla, Lynx, Konqueror.... and don't forget about the different Operating Systems. It's a nightmare!

I work off a laptop screen at 1024x786 (I'm not going to get into a "mine is bigger than yours" argument with you, Daniel Smile ), and I think the site looks perfectly reasonable. Msn.com is the very same, very specifically sized.

Justin you use a 14 inch? I didn't realise they still exist! You work in a museum?

Daniel wrote:
Works fine now, although you might want to add some margins to the page, or reduce the width of the tables, as it's too wide right now (for my liking).

That's the bother with using 100% tables, those with huge resolutions find each paragraph is a line in length, and your textual links will be a mile appart. But there are precious few that operate above 1024x786, and even fewer that surf at Maximised browser window.

It's really impossible to keep everybody happy, Justin. So don't work up too much of a sweat, there are plenty more things to do. Like all the other pages Very Happy

Good luck with it

Garth Farley[/code]
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by Garth FarleySend Personal Message
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 6:27 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi

Just done some more updates, the netscape Issues should be TOTALLY fixed now at last, could I have some feedback on the following pages please?

http://www.hostrocket.info/jsn/scripts.php

http://www.hostrocket.info/jsn/scriptinstalls.php

http://www.hostrocket.info/jsn/scriptfaq.php

Cheers

Justin
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 9:07 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

On this page: http://www.hostrocket.info/jsn/scriptinstalls.php, the table is stuck to the border, and it doesn't look very nice. Smile

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:40 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yeah...looks nice, most of links don't work, as you probably know, but under scripts, you should make it so that in the frame in the lower right hand corner, Free Scripts and such should be a link in that frame as well as the left hand one. Makes sense Question

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3