4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

How many sites one server
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
GraFx_Pro
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:07 pm (17 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

How many sites can one server host?
Do you need a nic for each ip address?

Didnot now were to post this.

Thanks in advance....
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by GraFx_ProSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:49 pm (17 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

That depends on the server: processor type & speed, RAM, hard disk size, etc...

No, you don't need one NIC for each IP address. Smile

Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:50 am (17 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It also depends on the types of sites you're hosting, and how popular they are, etc.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:29 pm (17 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

There are only 2 sites that I am thinking of hosting. Thay are up and running and being hosted by Yahoo at the time. both sites are mine

I am toying with the idea because the coumputer that I will use is a P4 @ 2.8gig with 512k of ram, 200gig sata HD and is just not doing anything.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by GraFx_ProSend Personal Message
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:35 pm (17 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

That computer is certainly (more than) good enough to host two sites. The only point I would raise is the network connection. Are you thinking of hosting the sites at home? If so, what is your connection speed? The upstream bandwidth is what counts, and most home ISPs won't give you anywhere near what you'd realistically need to host a web site. Not that you really need 100Mb/sec upstream to host two sites, but you should be aware that your visitors may experience slow browsing. Realistically you'd also need a static IP address, which most home ISPs do not provide.

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: