4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

htaccess file issues
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
candywebster
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:33 pm (17 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Crying or Very sad
Hello............

I have an .htaccess file on my website with 2 problems I can't resolve:

(1) Showing a custom error page instead of the "404 error page not found" message. It works great with Foxfire, Netscape. It works fine wiith IE "everywhere" as far as I have been able to determine, but NOT with IE on my own computer!!

I've disabled my firewall that makes no difference. My web site: http://www.candylandcrafts.com/ (it is not hosted on my computer, it is hosted on Superb)

If you type an incorrect url like: http://www.candylandcrafts.com/test.htm
you should get my custom error page. For the life of me I can't figure out why it doesn't work with IE for me.

The htaccess line is: ErrorDocument 404 /404errorpage.htm

(2) The 2nd problem is denying browser access to the .htaccess file itself. Everything I read says this will work:

<Files .htaccess>
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
</Files>

But it won't................... if you type in http://www.candylandcrafts.com/.htaccess you'll get the file

Any suggestions are really appreciated.
Joe Hussar
candywebster@aol.com
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by candywebsterSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
thetribe
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:07 am (17 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I get the custom error page with FireFox and also with IE6. You didn't check before you created the error page and have the old page in the cache? Only thing I can think of at the moment.

As for accessing the .htaccess file via browser I'm unsure of how to sort this, mine is protected by default on my host as I've not changed a thing but access is forbidden.

OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by thetribeSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:26 am (17 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

thetribe is right, access to .htaccess should be denied by default. You should contact your host and tell them their server is mis-configured.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:57 am (17 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

The problem isn't cache/cookie.

Thanks for replys... I'll definitely contact my host........... but the code itself (according to several sources I found) is supposed to deny htaccess visibility.

Computers: can't live with 'm and can't live without 'm

Thanks!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by candywebsterSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: