4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Help with htaccess/htpassword
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
su_jump
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:03 pm (19 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hello, Rolling Eyes
Taking over a website because the webmaster quit and left me high and dry. Anyway, I’m trying to educate my in htaccess and htpasswd. Our website is already set up using htaccess for a member’s only area and everything works great. I just wanted to learn how to edit the present members list. And don’t know how the past webmaster was doing it. What I have done so far is educate myself on htaccess and so far gotten the concept of how it works. I’m just stumped on how the passwords are associated with the encrypted file. I know there are online htaccess password encryption sites that will do this for you but I come up with a different encryptions every time I use them for the same password. Guess, what I’m trying to say is, I can encrypt the password but how do I associate them with the real (text) password and actually get the file where it need to be with out screwing this up. Do I FTP directly into the server or do I use something like WS_FTP to upload or download these files? Still learning and kind of confused with this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by su_jumpSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:16 pm (19 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I suggest you read the comments at the bottom of this page:

http://www.4webhelp.net/us/password.php

They should clear up your confusion on obtaining different passwords every time.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:19 pm (19 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

After doing some testing I figured out how the .htpasswd was woking. I was kind of lost concerning this issue. So, I discovered that getting a random password basiclly form any website will work. As soon as I put the new generated password into the .htpasswd file it automaticlly associates it to the username with no special tricks. At least that what I figured.

Thanks again
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by su_jumpSend Personal Message
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: