4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Name Servers
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
AJ_101
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:11 am (19 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi i have an account with godaddy.com and i need some help with something. I got a server up and running. my ip doesnt change. but im not sure how to setup the whole nameserver thing. What is a name server. i know that is probly a stupid ? for most of you but i need to ask it. i mean does anyone know how i set up my url with my site without using forwarding to a no-ip.com addy?

My url is http://jasper-ads.us ---> forwards to http://jasperads.hopto.org ----> forwards to my ip address

is a nameserver a special program or does it already exist on my computer....

Tech spec's
WinXP
Apachie
Kerio mail server
php with zend
active perl

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

AJ_101
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by AJ_101Send Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:35 am (19 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

A nameserver is not held on your PC, it's usually held on a web server. It converts host names to IP addresses, so the browser knows to contact 123.123.123.123 when it goes to subdomain.domain.com.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:28 am (19 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I am going to try to setup the zonedit site and use there name server. hopefully thell give me what i need. looks like it will im running a test with another domain addy i own with godaddy. so i dont have any unnacesary downtime with my main url. godaddy's nameservers wasnt working to good for me cause they block some emails from places like yahoo and i got frineds on there. hehe but thanks for your info. later...

AJ_101
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by AJ_101Send Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:47 am (19 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yes, ZoneEdit should work for you. Setup an account there, and set up all the settings for your domain, and THEN change the nameservers for your domain. If you change the nameservers first, then there's a risk that the change will take effect before you've set everything up at ZoneEdit, which would result in downtime.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:45 pm (19 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

My first testing worked great. I will be switching my url and stuff later tonight hopefully it will not me alot of downtime. with the other domain switch it was only about 6 hours. hehe . Thanks for all your help..

On a personal note.....

This is a great forum you all provide. It is simple and got great people helping in here. Thanks for all the time and energy you all give out. I wish I could even know half the stuff you guys do. I was always smart with the hardware aspect and not so much the serving but reading everything here is being alot of help.
Thanks to everyone.

AJ_101 Smile
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: