4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

iframes, parents and PDFs
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
vixen
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:24 pm (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

hi
can anyone tell me how to keep your pages inside an iframe, so you dont end up with "parentless pages"??
I tried JS for the oldfashioned framesets but that didnt work (dont laugh guys!!) Embarassed
Pleeease dont tell me not to use iframes, I searched the board and I get the feeling that you all hate them. Am I right?

Also: do search engines search the content of PDF files yet?

Thank you

Vixen
A newbie
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vixenSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:28 am (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Google currently indexes the contents of PDF files. I'm not sure about other search engines.

This is for frames, but it might help:

http://www.usc.edu/uscweb/authoring/frameload.html

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:34 am (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks I appreciate it.

I'm just a little confused: can u treat an iframe as if it were a frame in a frameset??

And if Google searches PDFs others are bound to do the same soon right?

Thanks
Robert Wellock
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:17 am (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Alternatively you could choose the <object> element and it is up to the desecration of the Engine as to whether they chose to read PDF, which is an open standard - most likely the others won't bother.

Although some people may not like having a PDF file placed in a frame as it causes some additional barriers.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:47 am (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I didnt mean to put my PDFs in a frame, it was just an urelated q about the search engine process...I wasnt clear about that.

I just wonder if there isnt like a norm when it comes to iframes? When I search the net I almost never see any parentless pages..well except my own that is!!

I'd love to know what any of you've done to solve this problem?
Maybe I should redesign my site and use regular frames instead? Would this be the best way to go?

and may the force be with me on this one...I need it!!
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: