4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

MX Record Set-Up
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:52 am (19 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'm never very good with these, so if anyone can help:

A client of mine has hosting set up with myself via the server tiger.xssl.net (67.15.32.17), and has their domain DNS hosted with freedom2surf which they want to leave there as they use it for a number of operation related to their ADSL account.

I have set up the A/CNAME records etc so the web service is working, but i'm not sure how to set up the MX (I want tiger.xssl.net to handle the incoming mail for the domain).

Can someone tell me how to do it? I've included an example of the F2S DNS Page here so if you can tell me what to put in each box for MX Records I'd appreciate it.

OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:05 pm (19 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Unfortunately all companies have a different interface for DNS management, but I would put "domain.com" in the first box, MX in the second, and "mail.domain.com" in the third. Then create a CNAME for mail.domain.com and point it to tiger.

I take it there are no instructions for the page?

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:37 pm (19 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Have done that, will just have to see how it goes, will let you know what happens in the next 24-48 hours when it propagates.

Notes on F2S DNS page:

Please Note: This should only be used by advanced users. Incorrect use can break your services. The record type can be one of:

MX - Used to specify a mail server - also requires a weight entry.
CNAME - Used to point an entry to another name.
A - Used to point an entry to a specific IP address.
TXT - Used to specify eg: SPF records.

Note: Reverse lookups are created automatically for A records. The DNS records are updated daily at 09:30 GMT.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:50 pm (19 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I seem to remember reading somewhere that MX records should point directly to A records, so I would enter tiger.xssl.net as the value of the MX record for their domain. Either that or create an A record for mail.domain.com pointing at 67.15.32.17.

I could be wrong, though.

Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:22 am (19 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

The thing i that I've used two different services: one where it created an A/CNAME record, and one where it didn't. I think it's ZoneEdit where you add an MX record for mail.domain.com, but I'd have to check.

Last edited by Daniel on Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DanielSend Personal Message
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:00 am (19 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
I think it's ZoneEdit where you add an MX record for mail.domain.com

I use ZoneEdit and have my MX record pointing at elisha.moosoft.net - I'm pretty sure when I tried to use a cname it wouldn't let me.

Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:04 pm (19 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I just logged in to ZoneEdit, and this is how it is set up for my domain:

Mail Servers:
"mail.domain.com" handles mail "1st/2nd/3rd" for domain "domain.com"

A Records:
"mail.domain.com" points to "IP"

[So yes, they aren't CNAMEs but rather A records]

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: