4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Good Flash Program
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 6:29 pm (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

For those of you who can't afford Macromedia Flash, there is a very good program called Swish that is a lot easier to learn than Macromedia Flash which outputs flash files, in a similar, but simpler manner than Macromedia Flash.

You can find it at :

http://www.swishzone.com/

Highly recommended Smile
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 3:37 am (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Am I the only one who really cant stand flash and think its the biggest waste if space ever?

Personally when I see a flash intro that lasts more than 3 seconds and has no skip button I just close the browser.

Sites that are totally flash really annoy me for obvious reasons.

IMHO flash is the biggest waste of time 99.87% of the time. Dont get me wrong flash has its uses now and then but most of the time its a pain...

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 12:36 pm (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Plus, it's often hard to copy and paste text & pics from a Flash animation.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 1:34 pm (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Flash is good for other things like creating animated gifs and avis Smile

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 2:16 pm (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ben wrote:

Am I the only one who really cant stand flash and think its the biggest waste if space ever?

Personally when I see a flash intro that lasts more than 3 seconds and has no skip button I just close the browser.

Sites that are totally flash really annoy me for obvious reasons.

IMHO flash is the biggest waste of time 99.87% of the time. Dont get me wrong flash has its uses now and then but most of the time its a pain...

I agree with you, I am not using Flash at the moment, but Swish does come in handy on the odd occasion, but hardly ever use it.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 2:16 pm (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

WebEgo wrote:

But thats not flash files is it Smile
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 5:08 pm (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

phew, thought I was the only one. Laughing

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
WebEgo
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 5:39 pm (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Justin wrote:

WebEgo wrote:

But thats not flash files is it Smile

Obviously not! But the package as a whole is good because of the different features

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 12:14 am (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Flash can be a really great tool. It is fantastic for animation, it has great interactivity that surpasses DHTML by miles. It's efficient, if used correctly.

But it seldom is used correctly. And most of the time, it's used by amatuer webmasters with too much pocket-money. They put bouncing letters all over the page, flashing buttons and sound files farting everywhere. They push up the file size to unbearable levels, so that anyone on a dial-up connection is waiting for 30 minutes.

This is why Flash has got such a poor reputation. It can be implimented very well, and it really can add some pizazz to the navigation. But mostly it's abused, which is a shame.

If I come across a site with no "Flash-less" option, I've the Back button pressed immedaitely. Take note every Flash webmaster, always have a HTML option.

Garth Farley
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by Garth FarleySend Personal Message
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 2:25 am (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

yeah dont get me wrong if used propley flash is great, but so far I think in 2 years I'v only ever seen about three good uses of flash

Red and White Kop
JdS
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 2:07 pm (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

count me in... i also dislike flash sites - they're murder on my 56k modem! but occasionally, some sites that use them instead of animated gifs are quite 'eye-catching' and impressive

'New script on the Block' - GIDtopsites
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JdSSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:02 pm (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Going with with Flash is cool if done in limits. using it instead of a few animated gif's is something good. Too much flash sucks!

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
suicide
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 10:03 pm (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Gav's Rules on Flash

1. A website made entirely with flash is time consuming and is a turn off for visitors
2. Using flash instead of Animated GIF's is highly recomended as the file is smaller you can have mouse events and add sound that doesn't take long to load
3. Use flash to play sound instead of using MP3 or WAV because it's faster to load although the sound quality isn't all that good.

Those are my rules so far as I have experienced Flash for over half a year and find it pointless to use on sites that have many forms

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:30 pm (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

swish is very good i brought it, ture very good easy to use

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:29 pm (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I've used Swish - Ver 2.x is great. Simple to use as opposed to MMF. It's the poorman's flash and easier to learn. Too much of a good thing.............

Anyway, if you're doing gif animation, I use Ulead's Gif Animator Ver 5 which an output to swf and avi apart from agif. Comes on it's own or as part of Ulead's PhotoImpact (my application of choice for graphics.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JointCommsSend Personal MessageSend email
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page 1, 2  Next