4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

When will we be able to stop coding specifically for IE?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:24 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

http://glish.com/css/hacks.asp wrote:
Exploit an IE5x PC CSS parsing bug -- RECOMMENDED
This hack allows us to prematurely close a style rule in IE5x PC because of a bug in its CSS parsing code. Here, let me just show you:

Code:
#myDIV
      border:10px solid black;
   width:200px;
   voice-family: "\"}\"";
   voice-family: inherit;
   width:180px;
   }
html>body #myDIV {
   }

Another hack:

http://glish.com/css/hacks.asp wrote:
Use CSS2 selectors
IE5x PC does not support the CSS2 child selector while IE5 Mac, Gecko and Opera do. IE5x PC will simply ignore all rules assigned using this selector, so if we initially set width, padding, and border values that work with IE5x PC's broken box model in rule using a CSS1 selector, then override those incorrect values with proper values in a rule using a CSS2 selector, everybody will be happy. Well not really, but before I explain the problem with this let me show you how it looks. This DIV will be 200 pixels wide on the screen in IE5 Mac and PC, Opera, and Gecko:

Code:
#myDIV
      border:10px solid black;
   width:200px;
   }
html>body #myDIV {
   }

Ok, now here's the problem: what if a browser comes on the market that does not support CSS2 selectors, but gets the box model correct? You guessed it. That browser not see the width value intended for correct box-model implementations, because this hack depends on the existence of CSS2 selectors to correct bad values set for IE5x PC. Now, what if this new browser is positioned to take over IE5x PC's position as the predominant browser on the web? Well, that worst-case scenario seems to be happening. We've all been using this hack with the blind assumption that IE6 will fix both its box-model implementation and add support for CSS2 selectors. However, the IE6 public Beta that came out last week does not have support for CSS2 selectors, but yes, you guessed it, they fixed the box model. Even if they add CSS2 selector support in the release version, this whole situation so clearly highlights the deficiency of this workaround, and imposes such restrictions any other future browsers that may not wish to support CSS2, that we have to come up with a better system.

This is the kind of thing we have to resort to - but we shouldn't have to! Sad

Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:43 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

confuses the browser,
and browser starts to behave *properly* Laughing

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:48 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

my personal view is that if my standards-complient code doesn't work in a particular browser, then that browser isn't worth catering for - this includes IE, regardless of how many people use it. Of course, I'm not trying to make any money from my site; if I was I might see things differently.

IEs problems are just another reason why everyone should work their hardest to break microsoft's monopoly over virtually everything...they won't go away until people can put microsoft in a position where the quality of their product will actually affect the amount of money they make. I'm sure they'd care then...

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:52 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If you put yourself first rather than your users your a poor webmaster, no excuses, the user always come first, without users, you have no site.

Last edited by Justin on Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:57 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

lmao, are you calling me ****? Razz

My site's just a blog anyway, and is definately usable in even the worst (or simplest) of browsers. It looks (almost) perfect in even netscape 4.

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:31 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

the censor made it look worse than it actually was! lol! it was a mild word, not anything like the F or S words!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Marinamus
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:17 pm (9 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

PackagingGURU wrote:And from what Ive read from the previous responses is that the only way this will work is if I turn on the functionality with the SoftGrid Client to refresh when the users login as the FTA are user specifc and not Global?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by MarinamusSend Personal MessageSend emailICQ Number
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page Previous  1, 2