4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

1and1.com offer 3 years free hosting?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:21 pm (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

http://www.1and1.com

Please, someone tell me what the catch is, cos I can't find one!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:36 pm (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

There isnt one, well not really.

Only downside is you have to have a US phone number as they use an automated call system to phone you to set up the account.

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:49 pm (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Strange, what kinda business tactic is that? Oh yeah, I know, the same one F2S used!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Teddy
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:47 pm (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

No.. it's an attempt at getting a nice start. They are a UK based company, trying to come to the US/Canada with a bang.

I signed up a few weeks ago, haven't had any trouble with their service. That makes me very happy... I had very low hopes for them. 500mb space, MySQL... free? Aparently so Smile
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by TeddySend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's WebsiteAOL Instant MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:48 am (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

They are actually German Wink

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Teddy
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:42 pm (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well, their former website is www.oneandone.co.uk ....
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by TeddySend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's WebsiteAOL Instant MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:53 pm (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Their website is also www.1und1.de and all their european data center is in germany http://www.4webhelp.net/us/ip-atlas/plot.php?address=www.oneandone.co.uk

Red and White Kop
1and1sucks
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:51 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

1and1 sucks!, they do not refund money when promised.

They promised two times they would refund the 29.95 accidentilly charged on my c card , but they don't refund the money.
Is this the sort of thing they do in Germany.

The **** who own this company want to put as many American companies out of business as possible and take over the ISP market here, plain and simple.

It would otherwise be a good deal, if they were not such tight ass liars.

[Mod Edit: While your complaint may be justified, there is no reason to use such language.]

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:58 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I've *never* heard any good things about 1&1. The old issue was keeping user's domain names.

But now, if you go somewhere like www.webhostingtalk.com and run a search for the name, you'll find a lot of threads complaining about the lack of support - and don't expect any real guarantees on uptime.

Overall - a second rate service. If you have second rate websites you don't really value then go for it...

OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by I, BrianSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
altyfc
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:18 pm (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

(Hi Brian)

The one big problem with all these bargain bucket domain/hosting shops is... well, they're cheap.

Cheap means they have to keep low-overheads. Low-overheads means they pay peanuts. Paying peanuts get them monkeys.

Nuff said.

Aaron

Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:14 pm (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If you want free hosting, its the best your going to get. Rolling Eyes

Red and White Kop
bplinson
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:51 pm (19 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I am bringing this thread back from the dead.

"Here is a little warning to you all...NEVER go with 1and1.com for any webhosting solution!!! ...

They offer the lowest price I have found for a dedicated server but it ain't worth even a penny.

My PHPNuke website was down just about EVERYDAY for the three weeks I hosted my website on their DEDICATED servers!!! They only allow you to have ONE database user per database and anyone who runs an active PHPNuke website knows that you need multiple database users.

1and1.com is really 1und1.com and is a German company that has opened up shop in the USA.

I live in Germany and hosted a website on their servers in Germany years ago...they sucked then.

I figured I would give 1and1.com a try since they opened up in the USA and see if they improved...BIG MISTAKE!!!!!

Actually they will not EVEN let anyone in the EU host a website on their USA servers. Only Americans and Canadians (I got around this by using my mom's address in California when I registered with them)!!! They do this becuase they also provide webhosting in the EU but charge about TWICE as much. They know there is too much competition in the USA to use the prices they have in the EU.

I have nothing against Germany (I actually love living here) or the German people (I am married to one!!!) but those of you who have been here know that they do not have a clue about customer service.

1and1.com advertises 24/7 telephonic tech support...THIS IS A TOTAL LIE. They never once picked up the phone when I called in the middle of the night. All I got was a recorded message that I had reached TECH SUPPORT and then a busy signal. This did not happen just once...IT HAPPENED EVERY SINGLE TIME FOR THREE WEEKS!!!!

They do not have cPanel. They have a custom control panel that has hardly any functions.

Am I **** off??? Just a little and so would you if your website was down for hours EVERYDAY because the company you are hosted by has not a clue about server administration or customer support and blatently lies about customer service.

Tell EVERYONE that you know NEVER to host a website with 1and1.com or 1und1.de or 1and1.uk.co.

I am damn glad that I have moved my website to a REAL dedicated webhosting company. I now pay twice as much, but I have twice as much server and the website stays up.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by bplinsonSend Personal Message
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: