4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Don't know the format of the text code
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
kepler
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:31 am (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi,

I have a database with several names that was in Unix format. The name Agrochão appears as Agrochão. Does anyone knows what kind of code is this? Unicode, UTF?

I want to convert all the names that appear in the second format name to the first (ansi).

Please, someone reply to this message as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Kepler
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by keplerSend Personal Message
kepler
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:40 am (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi again,

I think is UTF-o encoding. Is there a convertor from UTF-8 to ansi - free - available in the web?

Best regards,

Kepler
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:08 pm (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

yeah, it'll almost certainly be UTF-8. I'm not sure of any online tools, give me 10 mins and I'll make you one Smile

Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:21 pm (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

ok, I thought about what would be the best way to do this, and I think this will be easiest:
Code:
<?php
$file = '/home/user/file.txt';
print system('unix2dos '.$file);
include($file);
?>

simply upload the file you wish to convert to somewhere in your webspace, and change $file so that it contains the full path to the file. The script will convert the file, and display it to you. This script does assume your server is running a unix-like operating system, and has PHP and the unix2dos utility installed. Also, unless your server is running phpsuexec (which is most probably isn't) you'll need to make the text file world-writable (chmod 666).

Of course, if you have shell access to a unix machine you can login and use unix2dos manually.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:32 pm (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi,

The solution is good - the only problem is that the file has 800 MB.

Best regards,

kepler
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: