4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

help with lining up text
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
scottd78
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:23 pm (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

**This message is for Phil (thetribe). I'm re-posting it because I hadn't gotten a reply back.**

Cool! I thought it looked ok too, but sometimes you just need someone else's reassurace.... hahahah..... anyway, I noticed that the text for the e-mail link looks like it's either in purple or blue, which helps it to stand out more, so I'd like to do that for the other pages, if possible.

Since I've been going back to kind of fine-tune everything in my website, I've noticed that perhaps my web designer was a little negligent or lax here and there. For example, if you change the text size in your browser when viewing some pages, and if a line begins with a new sentence, it will put a space before the first word of that sentence. But I'm afraid if I take out the "&nbsp;" command, that there will not be enough spaces between sentences in some text sizes. Please let me know if all this makes sense-- it's much easier to actually see it visually. At one point, I tried putting a "<br>" in the text, but this seems to create even more problems. Can you help? Thanks!

Scott

P.S. - The only page where the font color for the e-mail link looks different is the "Contact Info" page.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by scottd78Send Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:33 am (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Why the new topic though?

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:05 am (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

The non-breaking space is rarely used for modern word-processing or web design as it is considered outmoded.

To change all the hyperlinks to blue then the following CSS would be suitable:
Code:
A:link {color: blue;}
If you wanted just the e-mail links to be blue then use a CSS class.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:08 pm (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi Daniel,

I wasn't sure if I was supposed to change the topic or not. I only changed it because before my questions were more about the graphics, and now now they're more about the text. Feel free to put it back in the other topic if necessary. Very Happy.

Scott
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by scottd78Send Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
scottd78
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:36 am (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks for the info Robert. What would you suggest I use instead of the &nbsp; command? This is what my web designer used. I must confess I'm very new to HTML, and am still learning the basic codes, so would appreciate it if you could tell me the specific code, and where it should be placed in the program. Thanks a lot! Very Happy

Scott
Robert Wellock
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:50 am (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It's a fairly strange thing to do increasing text size though zooming via the browser is more common lets take: http://www.4sqt.com/aboutsqt.htm

I am not sure exactly sure what you are trying to achieve because in web-design using a double space after the full-stop is very archaic and only seems to be done with "old school" printed business letters nowadays.

I presume you what you are after is that all text begins flush with the left-edge regardless of the font size though you'd like a double-space after the fullstops and what was happening at some sizes the non-breaking space left a space thus indenting text from the left-edge.

I am getting close to what you are after? If so I might be able to provide a CSS solution but it's a peculiar request.

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:20 pm (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'll join this topic as there seems to be more response here now than the original. Smile

The main question is do you need a double space after a full stop? If not then just remove the "&nbsp;" This will stop any leading spaces at the beginning of lines when the text size is increased.

OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by thetribeSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: