4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

What does a web designer need to know?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Hollywood
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:55 pm (20 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I am a web designer and I get confused what is expected of me as web designer.
Some of my clients get web design mixed up with IT stuff think I do it.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by HollywoodSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:23 pm (20 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yeah I get that too!

Although generally if I can help, and they're willing to pay for my time I will do what I can to assist in other areas.

I guess you just have to make it clear with your clients what they are getting for their money. Get it down in writing what you are going to do for them and get them to agree with it in writing Very Happy
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Ayyla
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:19 pm (20 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I also have been having a bit of a hard time with that. Many people expect you to just keep helping out with the small things, even though it may end up taking a lot of time to do.

I was thinking of putting on the end of the contract a certain amount of days for revisions and then the site is closed? How do any other professionals deal with this (say on building a website for someone)?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by AyylaSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:32 pm (20 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I like your idea of having a certain number of revision days. Then you're sure you don't have to work overtime Smile.

My impression is also that the less someone knows about web design, the more they'll ask you to help with unrelated things, simply because they don't know it's unrelated. I would politely inform them that this stuff is not for a web designer, and either offer to help for an extra fee, or point them towards someone else who can help and is a professional. Just make sure they understand that you're not lazy, but that what they're asking for just isn't part of the job Cool.

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: