4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

The Ultimate Server Side Coding Challenge - Solve it!
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:58 pm (20 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

This is a nasty one, and really has me stumped, but I think we'll just go into detail slowly, because this could get a bit confusing.

Mr X has a site with Freedom2Surf that has been transferd to an SSL F2S Site with the server having PHP Safe Mode turned on, but his account having it turned off.

His gallery script will not upload files to the server, the paths are correct (Myself and Nicholas Panayis have checked this) but it simply won't create the file.

Obviously, a CHMOD problem, so I thought, simply CHMOD the directory 777, and it will fix it... One slight problem, no F2S SSL sites have FTP!

To quote the user : "To upload to the secure server you don't use ftp. Instead there is a php file uploader running in safe mode. This works like an ftp program. It handles the chmod-ing as well. But it always give an error when I try to chmod a directory."

Keep with me here, he has to use a php file uploader on the server root, which is in safe mode, but his account on the same server is NOT in safe mode. Therefore I am assuming that this is the reason it cannot CHMOD the directory that wants to write to.

Therefore what I need, is a script he can upload via the safe mode uploader, into his webspace, and he can then run via HTTP through SSL and CHMOD the directorys, it obviously doesn't matter if this script doesn't work in safe mode, as his account does not have it on, just the upload program does as that is in a safe mode environment.

So Basically I need a CHMODDing script, if such a thing exists....
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:04 pm (20 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'm sorry if this is silly - your post is a little puzzling Very Happy - but why not just download a file manager and install it on the SSL account? [And upload this file manager via F2S' file manager Laughing] Then you could CHMOD with this script, couldn't you?

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:08 pm (20 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yeah, F2S Secure Servers are funny, even funnier is if you do a tracert it's hosted off the F2S Broadband service!

But yeah, do you know any decent file managers to do the job?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:09 pm (20 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Any file manager should do it, but I find you have fewer problems (on most hosts) if you go for a Perl one - Gossamer Threads' is the best IMO.

Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:17 pm (20 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

why not just system('chmod 777 /path/to/dir'); ?

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:44 pm (20 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I like to sneak a copy of cgi-telnet onto my accounts where the host doesnt allow ssh. Yeah they probably wouldnt like it but hey, it doesnt say you cant in my hosts terms and without it, its impossible to do a regular back up, ftping hundreds of files individually takes years so I like to tar and bz2 em.

Anyway if you lash a copy of cgi telnet up there you could do it with that. Hmm or just what he said ^^

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
pcbunk
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:35 am (20 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

try chmod 0777

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: