4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

My new website
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
GunstarHero
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:10 am (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi all,

/me takes a deep breath...

I have a new website and would appreciate any constructive feedback! So if you have some time to spare, go over to:

http://www.justdvdreviews.com/

I'm open to suggestions on anything to do with layout, usability, gfx etc.

Just a couple of things:

1. I'm working on an improved logo and main navigation bar
2. The dark subdued look is deliberate. I like gentle calming websites, especially late at night!

I think that's it. Cheers all! Very Happy

Anil
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by GunstarHeroSend Personal Message
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:53 am (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

thats very impressive, not many improvements I can think of...one thing I would suggest is limiting the number of reviews listed in the index, 50 on one page is a tad too much. Perhaps you could split it, so you get 10 per page and browse through them. I was also a bit surprised by your search feature, I entered 'alien' in the box, and expected to get a list of dvds featuring aliens (such as 'taken')...but the search returned no results.

also, you should validate your html and css

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 1:01 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks for your comments Adam, Very Happy

Review Index: 50 is a bit big! I'll reduce the number. I was thinking of splitting it into pages of about 20 with page numbering so you can jump back and forth.

Search: I'm working on an 'advanced search' page which will include keyword searches, directors, studios etc so this will be there soon.

HTML/CSS validation. I have made a start on overhauling the CSS/HTML on the site since it's been through quite a few designs and I'm starting to settle down on this current design(for the moment anyway).

Cheers!

Anil
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 3:01 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Overall, it looks really good, GunstarHero Smile

Suggestions:
  • One of the links in the left sidebar under "Recent Discs" is so long that it's wrapped into the margin on the next line -- you might want to try both editing it down to less text, AND fixing your code so that wrapped items indent (push to right) instead of sticking out on the left.

• Make margins and padding around text more consistent. The text in the right sidebar, for example, looks like there's no padding at all. It might make sense to match both that sidebar and the center area's padding to be similar to the left sidebar's.

• You might play around with some of the other spacing in your layouts to see if it improves things. For instance, maybe tightening the gap between your banner and content, and adding space under the end of the index list.

• If adam says to validate your HTML, he's probably right! Image

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
:::
.: :. . : :....: :.: .: :. verto .: :. . : :....: :.: .: :.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 3:30 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It's a very nice site, and for once I have (pratically) nothing to say Very Happy, other than advising you to not use fixed widths. Your design doesn't use up the whole page in my browser, yet it isn't centered Sad.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 3:57 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks for the comments. It's really appreciated.

Daniel, I'll look into making the change from fixed widths. The site will centre properly, soon.

verto, thanks for your comments too. I've been messing about with spacing and trying different things out. Now that I (almost) know what I want, I can make it more consistent.

My to-do list just seems to get longer and longer! Smile

I'll get a few reviews out of the way first, then I can work on the site.

Cheers!

Anil
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: