4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

COPPA
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
DarkMage78
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:04 am (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi all,

I have a question and i'm probably putting this in the wrong message board but i think that i'm right being here.

I am running a site based on a popular kids tv show and am using PHPBB (funky aint it?) However a good portion of my members are likley to be under 13 and this is my problem. The coppa regs would not let them into it if they told the truth. I closley monitor the site to ensure that it is sutable and anything not would be removed in a matter of mins!

Other than lying is there another way round this?

Thanks
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarkMage78Send Personal MessageSend emailAOL Instant MessengerYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:34 am (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi DarkMage,

One important thing to keep in mind with COPPA is that it is only applicable in the USA. Therefore if you are hosted outside the USA, you could simply edit the template and remove the under 13 link, and then edit the language file to have it say 'I agree' instead of 'I agree and am over or exactly 13'. More details on COPPA at http://www.cdt.org/legislation/105th/privacy/coppa.html

Edit: corrected URL

Last edited by Daniel on Sun Apr 13, 2003 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DanielSend Personal Message
drathbun
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:00 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

DarkMage78 wrote:
However a good portion of my members are likley to be under 13 and this is my problem. The coppa regs would not let them into it if they told the truth.

COPPA doesn't prevent users under 13 from registering, it just adds an extra step. "Officially" children under 13 have to have their parent's permission to participate in an online community. So by saying they are under 13, they will have to be approved by the admin before participating. That approval is supposed to be granted only after the parents mail or fax in a permission slip.

So it might be a pain, but it doesn't prevent participation, it just delays it. At least that is my understanding.

Dave

drathbun
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:03 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
More details on COPPA at http://www.forums.34sp.com/viewtopic.php?p=24961#24961

I think that this is the wrong link. Wink That one talks about using CSS for hypercells.

Is this topic what you meant instead?

Dave

Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:28 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I actually meant this:

http://www.cdt.org/legislation/105th/privacy/coppa.html

Embarassed

Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:51 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

From what I've seen on my own forum - someone under 13 registers, stating that they are under 13 - they then find out they have to fill in a form before their account is activated so they simply re-register and this time say they are over 13. you just end up with numerous unactivated registrations Sad
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
DarkMage78
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:59 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks for all your help.

I was not aware of the coppa regs until i started to use PHPBB but as i will be here most days the coppa form is not going to be a problem. If they dont like it then they will have to find another forum (there aint one!!)
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarkMage78Send Personal MessageSend emailAOL Instant MessengerYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: