4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Slag Off This Site Please
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 1:19 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

1) Code really does need clearing up, it's really messy to be honest, and as soon as I get my final design and I'm happy with it, I will start to clear things up, Would use Photoshop myself if I could afford it!

2) Yep, was a strange quirk that somehow found it's way in!

3) Cheers

4) I was thinking something like that myself, F2S I should think are using something like that, note the second row of buttons changing :

http://www.freedom2surf.net/help/?subsection=adsl
http://www.freedom2surf.net/help/?subsection=dialup
http://www.freedom2surf.net/help/?subsection=domainname

I will try working something like that in sometime, but before I start putting PHP into it, and getting it dynamic, I have the design issues to sort out, I'm hoping for a launch of 17th May (Will be a year to the day since Freedom2Support Opened).

5) 16KB is just the HTML code, that's not counting the images, the code is a mess, I remember reading about there being a site on the web that streamlines your code, anyone remember what it is? Just I can't be bothered to do it myself really!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:47 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Code has now been streamlined, was 17.2KB, now 13.4KB, anything weird in there, let me know Smile
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:17 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

http://beta.freedom2support.net/adsl/halflife.php
http://beta.freedom2support.net/adsl/networking.php

Good enough for final? Or still needs changes?
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:22 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well are you going to take notice of the suggestions made in this thread? Most of what I've suggested still hasn't been changed, so if by "go final" you mean actually put it on the website... Anyway, all looks fine to me other than what I've already said Smile.

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:35 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I don't mean putting it on the website, I mean finalising the design, and actually trying to put some nice PHP code in, as well.

Verdana can not go in, it just does not work, Verdana Bold at that size is too bold, and stands out too much, and regular is the opposite, so I can't use that, which is what i said in the earlier post.

Meanwhile, search button hasn't changed as I haven't reuploaded header.php yet, have now. The Vaccant bottom line has been removed also, and the other problem you have mentioned is about to be fixed.

One Question :
Is it any better than the old site, or not?
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:40 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yes it is quite a bit better. Search button looks good too Very Happy I was also referring to my tip about » Wink

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:45 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yeah, that tip is next on my list, Just changed the ADSL Nav to trebuchet MS tabs, better or worse than Arial?
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:51 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yes, Trebuchet is much better Very Happy

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:53 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:

Is that a standard font? One that will be available to most of the folks browsing your system?

One advantage of Arial Wink is that it is a fairly standard font. No matter what platform your users come from, they are likely to have it. I'm guessing that the "MS" in Trebuchet MS stands for Microsoft? Is that true? Will non-MS based folks be able to render your buttons? Or am I completely off-base here?

Dave

Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:55 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Trebuchet MS is used in the graphics, is not used anywhere in the site, fonts for the site are defined via CSS as Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, MS Sans Serif, Helvitica, so that won't be a problem Smile
drathbun
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:56 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Justin wrote:
Trebuchet MS is used in the graphics, is not used anywhere in the site, ...

Got it. Cool

Dave

Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:58 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:

Yep, looks a bit better.

Any Additional comments apart from the arrow one about the site?

I need a global link to the forums main page somewhere high up, any idea where I can put it?
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:24 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

you haven't closed the form tag.

logo is still misaligned for me - did you try applying the bit of CSS to the form tag?

Are you going to get rid of the remaining font tags and implement CSS more consistently - there's at least on case of a font tag that is closed twice.

I don't know as I'm too keen on the tutorial headings - maybe because its yet another shade of blue??

and I personally would prefer the product areas menu to either be blue or white I just think it gets to a point where there are too many borders - but thats very subjective.

Apart from that its looking good! Very Happy
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:27 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Justin wrote:
I need a global link to the forums main page somewhere high up, any idea where I can put it?

Its going to have to be above or below the search box - you need a nice little icon for that Smile
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:07 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

1) Is fixed in local version

2) Is fine In Opera 5, Netscape 6.1, Mozilla 1.4, and IE6, I will try applying that bit of CSS, but think it is a browser problem myself, as it's also fine on Mozilla 1.1 on Red Hat Linux.

3) Yes, remaining font tags are going to go, I'm sure I removed all font tags, but something must have crept in somehow, will move it out. CSS Will be in more consistantly too, will use CSS for everything including cells backgrounds etc.

4) Think I may lighten it up a bit, would that blend it in more you think?

5) Will try that out and see what it looks like
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next