4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Slag Off This Site Please
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:45 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

http://www.freedom2support.net

I want you to give me as much damn constructive criticism about the site as you possibly can, because I'm working on improving it, only things I have done so far with the beta version of the new one is to space the lines in the main body a bit more..

But I want critcism, and I want loads of it so I can change it for the better Smile
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:06 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

OK, here goes (don't complain - you asked for it):
  • The search button's background just doesn't fit in - it's too light
  • The More News button doesn't either - bg and font need changing (use one of the fonts you're already using on the site - not a new one)
  • Customise the Atomz search results page
  • http://www.freedom2support.net/contact/ --> same kind of problem - the blue background stands out and doesn't fit in
  • Same page: Link "Comments & Suggestions" to the forums, not to the home page
  • http://www.freedom2support.net/links/ --> Have links open in a new window?
  • Get rid of redundant <style> tags - on your home page there are two of them
  • Clean up your code - at least change all the ' into " since ' isn't even correct HTML - never mind XHTML Wink
  • Put some content on the home page - just giving the latest news won't keep visitors on your site - the first impression is the only impression Wink

I think that's plenty to work on... Very Happy

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:13 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

1) Fixed In Local Copy
2) Will be done when I can find my serial code for Xara Webstyle 3
3) Atomz was only installed yesterday, removed our own script, but is on my list to do.
4) CSS Problem, Fixed in Local copy. (2.1 uses CSS for 99% of things, where current version 2.0 uses a lot of Tags)
5) Index.php is the forums if you try it, portal.php is the home page
6) Will Do
7) Version 2.1 is completely .css file driven, no style tags anywhere in sight.
Cool Done in new version, blame FrontPage for that, as that's what generated the intial code.
9) Will see what the users think about that, but they are the ones that wanted it changed to that.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:17 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'm not saying get rid of the news, but the space it's given is excessive IMO. First time visitors more than likely won't be interested in the news about the website. You may consider writing a blurb to put at the top of that page to "advertise" the website.

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:32 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It's not normally the news about the site though, most of the time it's F2S Service announcements to be honest....
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:34 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

first, off check the W3C Validator.

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:37 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I can't be bothered to spend months making the site valid HTML, it will take forever!
adam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:43 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

it won't take that long...trust me. anyway, if you need help doing it, you have us Very Happy

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:43 am (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

• Think that the bright blue header bars on the Contact Us page reading "Online Forms :," "Discussion Forums :," and "Fax :" are way too bright and blue, which undermines the more subdued color scheme of rest of the page.

Daniel wrote:
    • Clean up your code - at least change all the ' into " since ' isn't even correct HTML - never mind XHTML Wink

• I agree with both Adam and Daniel that it'll probably be worth your while to clean up and even to validate the code, but I think Daniel may be mistaken about using single quotes for XML, and, I think, for HTML as well. This page for ex. says otherwise: XML Attributes -- see the section "Quote Styles, "female" or 'female'?" While that page is actually for XML, XHTML follows XML syntax. Here's the W3C spec, if you can read it Wink : XML Spec @ W3C

• This one's a nit, but ... I like the subtle scroll bar, but the left edge looks a little flat to me. To change it, you could change (prob. brighten up) the 'scrollbar-highlight-color' or 'scrollbar-3dlight-color' values in your CSS.

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
:::
.: :. . : :....: :.: .: :. verto .: :. . : :....: :.: .: :.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:07 am (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Even if it is OK to use single quotes, I would recommend being consistant: either use only single quotes (which I have yet to see on a major website) or only double quotes.

One thing I would say about validating your pages, is that when fixing all the HTML problems, you end up fixing many of the bugs which visitors may notice when not using the same browser as you. IE may be forgiving, but others are less, and so by making your page standards compliant you're giving it more chances of showing up right in most browsers.

Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:13 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Just a couple of things:
This may just be my browser (IE 5.1 Mac) but I find the left hand menu too long and am having to scroll for the options lower down. This is because of the line spacing. (I should mention I'm viewing on 800x600 on a laptop)

Another thing I felt was that every page looks very similar - I was just wondering whether you had considered introducing some kind of imagery to break up the text a bit. They needn't be large - maybe some kind of icon for certain sections would be nice....
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:06 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Darren wrote:
Just a couple of things:
This may just be my browser (IE 5.1 Mac) but I find the left hand menu too long and am having to scroll for the options lower down. This is because of the line spacing. (I should mention I'm viewing on 800x600 on a laptop)

is http://beta.freedom2support.net any better?

Quote:
Another thing I felt was that every page looks very similar - I was just wondering whether you had considered introducing some kind of imagery to break up the text a bit. They needn't be large - maybe some kind of icon for certain sections would be nice....

I did think about that actually, and is something that I'll be considering probbably, Just I haven't really got time to mess around with graphics at the moment Sad
adam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:08 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

on the valid html side, you still need to add character encoding info. This will do the trick:
Code:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:23 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I haven't even started validating the HTML yet....
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:18 am (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yep the menu on beta.fredom2support.net is much better!! I also prefer the style of this border to the thick black line Very Happy

Another thing I just noticed - the line "For Freedom2Surf Users - By Freedom 2Surf Users..." is getting squashed on to 2 lines even when there is ample width in the browser window. I've a feeling its something to do with the 'strange' percentages youve set for the 2 columns. And again I think its specific to my browser but then it is handy for showing up problems Smile - It was said to be the most standard compliant browser when it came out (not sure if that still stands though?)

Code:
<table width='100%' border='0' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='2'>
        <tr>
          <td class="otherrow" width='59%'>
 <B><span style="font-size: 8pt"> &nbsp;...For Freedom2Surf Users - By Freedom2Surf
   Users... </span>
   </B></td>
          <td class="otherrow" width='126%' align="right">
          <FORM method="get" action="http://search.atomz.com/search/">
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next