4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Building a site with php
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
webgirly
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:57 pm (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'm new to this and want to know how to build my site using php. A site very much like this one, or http://www.hellmouth-hyperion.com/specialstuff

My navigational menu footer menu is quite detailed and needs upating frequently so I want to use php to solve the problem of having to edit every single page... I get the feeling it kinda works like frames? But I'm not sure... if anyone could take a look at my site and give me some ideas on how to write the script I'd be very grateful, at the moment I'm stuck in the thought that it works like frames, perhaps that's why I'm having trouble getting my head around it.... Embarassed

Thanks in advance...
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by webgirlySend Personal Message
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:33 pm (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

You wish to update the page there at:
http://www.hellmouth-hyperion.com/specialstuff
??

If yes take a look at pMachine ( http://www.pmachine.com ) and MT ( http://www.movabletype.org )

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
webgirly
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:38 pm (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

well, I want to make it easier to update the navi menu on each page without having to go to each page and change it manually...
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:51 pm (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well you could use:
Code:
<?
include ("navigation.php");
?>

where you want it to appear in each file. Where 'navigation.php' was the file that contained your menu. In that respect it works like frames
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
webgirly
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:40 pm (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

So does the included page have to be php? *blush* sorry, I know I'm being dim....
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:48 pm (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

No, it doesn't have to be PHP. However you'll probably be adding some PHP in there some day, when your knowledge of PHP gets better Smile.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:06 pm (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well, I'm having a little test play... I have a site made with frames, so I've tried to set up a site using a table to set out everything, and I've inserted the php include code to create the site.. does that make sense?
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:09 pm (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

sounds Ok so far. Very Happy
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: