4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

GuestBook
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
precious
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 3:16 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Greetings,

Referring to my previous post at http://www.4webhelp.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=7024#7024

If there is none that you know of, anyone able to recommend any good Perl or PHP free guestbook scripts?

TIA
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by preciousSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:31 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yes, I would recommend the Advanced Guestbook from Proxy2.de:

http://www.proxy2.de/scripts.php

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:33 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
Yes, I would recommend the Advanced Guestbook from Proxy2.de:

http://www.proxy2.de/scripts.php

Beat me to it!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
precious
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:06 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Looks good, will try it out. Is there a way to set local time for the script (local time is where I live, and not where my host server is located)? I assume the script is set to the server time as shown for example:

Guestbook
Thursday, 31. October 2002 11:55
- server time?
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:03 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

precious wrote:
Looks good, will try it out. Is there a way to set local time for the script (local time is where I live, and not where my host server is located)? I assume the script is set to the server time as shown for example:

Guestbook
Thursday, 31. October 2002 11:55
- server time?

Yeah, you can do this in the admin area of the script....

Word of warning, the install program in 2.3.1 doesn't work 100%, you will need to run it and ALSO configure config.inc.php yourself, as the install script doesn't do it properly for some servers
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
precious
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:09 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I just downloaded it, there are lots of files in there, run which one?

I'm using 34SP, does the install script do it properly here?
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:25 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

precious wrote:
I just downloaded it, there are lots of files in there, run which one?

I'm using 34SP, does the install script do it properly here?

I have no idea if the install script works properly, but you will need to run it anyway, as it creates the tables and database, although doesn't always change the values in config.inc.php automatically, you might need to do it yourself.

Just run the install.php file.
precious
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 8:33 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

The Perl Guestbook 1.5 in Proxy2.de seems to be much easier to setup and the features look suffice for me. Let me know if there is any pitfalls/bugs for this one.
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:44 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

precious wrote:
The Perl Guestbook 1.5 in Proxy2.de seems to be much easier to setup and the features look suffice for me. Let me know if there is any pitfalls/bugs for this one.

I wouldn't know, never used it, only used the advanced php one.
precious
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 1:16 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'm totally new to PHP and mySQL, could you recommend me a good basic PHP and mySQL webpage for me to read to get me quickly started before I have the necessary expertise to configure the Advanced Guestbook? Or you may like to give me some necessary pointers here to help me to quickly get this PHP script up and running. I'm hard pressed for time to get a Guestbook up and running.

As it is going to be a Guestbook I'm using in the long run, it would be good to get this advanced guestbook properly configured now. PHP and my SQL expertise I will pick up the skill later.

Thanks!
precious
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:09 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

OK, I'm trying the script now.....

When I run the install.php, the error msg I got in the Advanced Guestbook Setup:

Warning: Access denied for user: 'myname@localhost' (Using password: YES) in /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/mydomainname/httpdocs/guestbook/install.php on line 242

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Access denied for user: 'myname@localhost' (Using password: YES) in /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/mydomainname/httpdocs/guestbook/install.php on line 242
Cannot connect to database

Are there any other changes I need to make on the config.inc.php as I have used all the defaults other then the only changes I made were:

$GB_PG["base_url"] = "http://mydomainname/guestbook/img";
$TEC_MAIL = "myname@mydomainname";
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:29 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'm not familiar with the script, but it looks as though you need to provide it with the details for your database: i.e db server, username & password

logic says that would be in the config file you mention, but I'm not sure
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:34 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I've just downloaded the script and yes the database settings are in config.inc.php

Have you read the instructions in the readme.txt file located in the 'doc' directory? as this tells you what steps to take.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
precious
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:07 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

My host server is 34SP, and I'm using all the default settings in config.inc.php as indicated in the comments headings:

/* database settings */

/* tables */

/* guestbook pages */

/* guestbook templates */

What are the changes I need to make inside those headings?

The readme.txt simply indicated:

Installation:

1. Open the configuration file 'config.inc.php' with a text editor
and set up your database settings.

2. Create the tables for the guestbook:
mysql -u<user> -p<pass> <database> < guestbook.sql
Or use the script 'install.php' -> http://www.yourDomain.com/guestbook/install.php

3. Give write permissions to these directories:

- public - 777 (drwxrwxrwx) (directory)
- tmp - 777 (drwxrwxrwx) (directory)

4. The default account is:

Username : test
Password : 123

I'm a newbie to PHP and mySQL, so will definately need some guidance here on what settings to set. I have already done step 3.
precious
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:15 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I was wondering if I need to create a database with the name guestbook.sql first with the siteadmin tool at 34SP before I go to step 2?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next