4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Email question
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
drathbun
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:11 am (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Again, I am coming in late to a discussion, but since I only just joined the forum... Smile

I'm not sure why you had to use php for this at all. In my opinion, that's not the right tool for the job. If you want to send a mail message, you could have just called the mail program directly. The command line (at least as far as how it is called on my host) would have looked like:
Code:
mail -s "subject line " address@somedomain.com < text_file_to_mail

I currently use this technique on my forum. At midnight local time a shell script fires off in cron. It does a number of things, and each one has output that is directed to an output file. Standard errors are also redirected to this file. Then the last line of the script is to mail the output log to my cell phone, so I don't even have to log in to check to see if my forum support script is up and running. Yup, I'm a lazy geek. Proud of it too. Very Happy

So if you wanted to email something at a regular time, and you knew the address, and you knew the content (and nothing about the original post made it seem like it was anything other than that) then a simple call to the mail program would have worked just fine. Worst case you would have to put the complete path to the mail program.

Where do you thing PHP is going to send your message? Yup, to the O/S mail program. So why not go direct.

Dave

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5