4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Email question
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
billdavies
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:44 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hey,

Does anybody know how I can set up an email to be sent at a certain time without having the computer on etc? I can be a web-based service if you cannot do it in Outlook Express.

Thanks

Bill
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by billdaviesSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteMSN Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:57 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yes, this can be done with a small PHP script and a cron task. Where are you hosted?

The PHP script would be like this:

Code:
mail("toaddress", "subject", "message", "From:fromname <fromaddress>");

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:16 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I am with Slabhost and it uses XP Control Panel or whatever it is called. Under Cron Jobs is has some gumph then:

Minute Hour Day Month Weekday Command

I want to send an email to about 10 people in one go.

It also says "no crontab" do I need to get that sorted as I'm sure its meant to have it.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by billdaviesSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteMSN Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:46 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Code:
mail("toaddress, toaddress2, etc...", "subject", "message", "From:fromname <fromaddress>");

is the code you need in your PHP file

As to the crontab, here it is:

command: /usr/local/bin/lynx --dump http://www.site.com/urltophpscript/

You'll have to tell me when you want it to run for me to tell you what to put in the other boxes.

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:39 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:

As to the crontab, here it is:

command: /usr/local/bin/lynx --dump http://www.site.com/urltophpscript/

Huh? Sorry, I know nothing! Do I need to use the crontab with this or something or were you just telling me?! What does all of that mean?!

Sorry for being a pain.

Bill
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:12 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

That is the command you enter in your control panel, and that is the command which will be run periodically (it is a crontab). However, you need to tell me when you want it run...

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:17 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ummm, well I have found that it is in Eastern Time so lets say 1am.

Does anyone know if its possible to set a post to be posted at x on a phpBB forum?

Thirdly, are there any good tutorials in cron jobs?

Bill
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:22 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I take it you mean 1 am daily?

No, that's not really possible (well, it is, but require an extensive script to be written).

I don't know of many, but, as always, Google is your friend Wink

Here is the stuff for the crontab:

In the first box, put: 0
In the second box: 1
In all the others: *
In the last one, the longest: /usr/local/bin/lynx --dump http://www.site.com/urltophpscript/

Of course, you have to create the PHP script which is going to be run at 1 am (code above).

Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:57 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

you sure about it not being possible, daniel? surely entering 01 in the hour field and * in the others (appart from the command, of course) would make it run at 1am daily?

Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:58 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I was talking about inserting a phpBB post not being possible... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:00 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
I was talking about inserting a phpBB post not being possible... Rolling Eyes
ahh, yes, Daniel, the master of replying in record time Very Happy

it should be possible, just send lynx to the appropriate url...not sure why you would want to though, appart to spam...

Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:05 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ummm.... you can't specify all the post's input fields through GET! You crazy? Wink Laughing

Quote:
ahh, yes, Daniel, the master of replying in record time

All I have to do is open up my browser and click one button (of course wait half a second for the page to load) to see if there any new posts at 4WebHelp. (Not to mention the notification emails I get Very Happy)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:16 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

/me loves get, it's his friend Very Happy

if it's in a cron job, you only have to type it once...so it's not THAT bad...

anyway, my point is that it's POSSIBLE :p

Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:20 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well... maybe NOT Wink (at least not without modification of phpBB), because I don't think phpBB allows GET posting - helps prevent spamming Wink

Now, adam, say sorry to Bill for hijacking his thread Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:22 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

/me hangs his head in shame...

sorry Razz

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next