4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Questions to ask a host?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
billdavies
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:21 am (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi,

I am in the process of getting a new host and asked them a few of your questions from your site. A couple I asked but didn't understand though!

1) Is PHP running in safe mode? Is there an open_basedir restriction?
I was told to go to http://www.slabhost.com/phpinfo.php. What do those two actually do? I think open_basedir is restricted as there wasn't much about it.

2)Is a dedicated IP included?
This will cost me an extra $5 a month. What is it and do I need it?

Thanks

Bill
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by billdaviesSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteMSN Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:22 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi Bill,

Glad you made use of my questions! Wink

1) I checked out the URL you gave, and PHP is not running in safe mode, and there is no open_basedir restriction.
Safe Mode: Safe Mode prevents you from running certain PHP commands, mainly ones which can be unsafe on a shared server.
Open_Basedir Restriction: This restriction stops you from using any file manipulation commands on files outside your document root (ie: not on your account.
However, in CPanel's case, AFAIK, even if the open_basedir restriction is off, you cannot view other people's files due to the permissions they have set on your files.

2) The most simple answer to this is that if you don't know what it is, you don't need it Wink. A dedicated IP can be used for anonymous FTP, SSL, or simply to be able to point unlimited domains to the same site (ie: point site1.com and site2.com to the same account).

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:16 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

So does that mean I should ask for PHP to be run in safe mode and to have open_basedir restricted? He'll probably want some sort of explanation so what should I say?!

Thanks
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by billdaviesSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteMSN Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:21 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

No, as I said, that host is running CPanel, so the open_basedir restriction doesn't need to be on. As to the safe mode being on or off, it's really up to the host. I wouldn't worry about it.

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:01 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I generally prefer safemode off, as some good scripts out there need it off.

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: