4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Web and IRC hosting
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Poll :: Should I

Set up a Linux box and do it myself?
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Stop being cheap and shell out more money?
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Stick with phpBB and have students use an IRC/IM client?
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Quit wasting your time and figure it out myself?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

mattryan
Ex Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:38 am (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I don't have problems finding good web hosting, but I'm having some difficulty finding a package that hosts both web and IRC server hosting. The business school I teach at is looking for a distance education solution that combines the use of forums and chatting in real time. I showed my bosses a demo of this using my current website and an IRC server running from home by using phpBB and a Java applet (Jicra) to connect to my IRC server. They liked this, but now they want it to scale for multiple classes, and I'm not hosting their stuff on my PC ;)

I really don't want to take the easy way out and use one of the public IRC servers because the server has to be reliable. I found one hosting plan by Phix.net for just hosting an IRC server, but it was too expensive ($30/month).

Anyone ever experience a situation like this and found great hosting at a reasonable price (around $40-$60 a month) for both web and IRC?

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: