4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Search Script - Special Criteria
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 5:28 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi,

I would like to have a search script for my website, but only searches the news, I would use atomz, but I don't particuarly like it and would like to host it myself so I can build round it.

Basically, I want it to index from :

http://www.bluesweb.co.uk/article_summary.html

this page is dynamically updated every time I add a new article to the website, I would then want it to crawl all of these pages and then build a searchable index. I do NOT want to index the site from the home page......

That would just kill my resources, and with the ammount of content we've got (458 pages at the last check) it would absloutley KILL the server, and would eat up bandwidth at a rapid rate.

Any Ideas perl or php would do, but something thats flexible so I can intergrate it into my news script Smile

Thanks!

Justin
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 5:29 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

And please no-one tell me to go to hotscripts, I was looking for suggestions, as I don't really have the time to play around with 100's of scripts unfortunatley Sad
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 5:34 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Would Atomz not be acceptable even if you could set it to only index that particular page (I think that's possible)?

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 5:43 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hmmm, it could be, but their login/register server doesn't seem to be working as it won't send out the verfication emails, as I tried earlier, and it didn't + you have the issue of not being able to do PHP Includes, which considering most of my site is dynamic, it's a bit of a pain.
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:26 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

What do you mean by "not being able to do PHP includes"? Do you mean that you would have to update the template at Atomz when you make changes to your design?

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:28 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yeah, thats what I mean, and we're changing a lot of things at the moment and I wouldn't want to have to keep changing things like that Sad
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 7:35 am (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If a Perl CGI script is okay with you, you can use FDSE from Xav.com

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: