4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

PowerPoint Presentation Tips
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 5:16 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

On Tuesday I'll be doing a PowerPoint presentation at school. I don't have much experience with PowerPoint due to the fact that I rarely have access to a PC (I stick to transparents printed out from the PC - terribly costly in ink and materials Sad). So, I was wondering if anyone has any particular tips for PowerPoint. Are there any effects/transitions which are especially good? Any tips? Wink

Thanks for any help.

Daniel

Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:18 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

From watching a lot of bad power point presentations at my school, first thing I would say is do not simply type up what you're gonna say...you're audience can read, so there'd be no point in you being there. Just sumarize what you're going to say. Stay away from using lots of different animations, it may look kinda neat the first time you have a block of text spiral in, but it gets very annoying very fast. Stay away from sound effects! Try to use photo's to illustrate what you're talking about, but don't use clip art - it is in no way original. thats all I can think of for now...

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:30 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yeah. As adam says, do not use sound effects, and don't just type out what you're saying, or your audience will just switch off Smile
Your best bet would be to just use bullet points. (In my experience of doing powerpoint presentations, and having them for my uni lectures Razz, limit yourself to about 4-5 bullet points per page).
As for animation, the best is either no animation Wink, or a simple slide in effect. Pictures are good to get over lots of info.

http://community.34sp.com
http://www.miguel.me.uk | http://www.sfcommand.co.uk | http://www.ssdg.org.uk
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by SfCommandSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 6:04 am (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks for your comments, that's what I was looking for. I have actually never seen a PowerPoint presentation (other than on a PC - ie not on a big screen). I stayed away from sound effects anyway, since I'm not sure if I'll have access to sound equipment Smile. The effects I'm using are slide in only (after a few seconds all is standing still Razz). I have also used bullet points, since that seems to be what the software is meant for, and is indeed the default layout it presents you with when you create a new slide. I'll try to follow adam's tip on photos Smile (I've only got one for now).

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:21 pm (20 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Here's a Do and a Don't, Daniel...
    Do
  • Do backgrounds and design well ahead, so you avoid a crunch

Don't
  • Avoid, or use sparingly, PPT's clip art

Neutral

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
:::
.: :. . : :....: :.: .: :. verto .: :. . : :....: :.: .: :.

Last edited by verto on Thu May 29, 2003 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
drathbun
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:58 pm (20 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Make sure you use clean and large fonts. One rule of thumb I have seen is to view your slides at 50% scale on your screen... if you can still read it, it's fine. Otherwise folks in the back of the room will be squinting. Wink

Dave

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: