4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Getting Rid of Frameborder for NS7 in XHTML?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Poll :: Like NS7?

0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Dislike
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
Like Ike
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Get a like!
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:08 am (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

When I upgraded one of my main page's framesets to use an XHTML frameset DTD, I took the old frameborder="0" attribute out to make it valid XHTML. Unfortunately, NS7 still uses that attribute to control the spacing for the border, and without it, gives me a big extra 10-15 undesired pixels at the top of the frame. Anyone know any workarounds for this?

BTW, I'd like to keep the markup valid XHTML if possible, esp. as I've already got a valid XHTML button in one of the frames.

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
:::
.: :. . : :....: :.: .: :. verto .: :. . : :....: :.: .: :.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
Robert Wellock
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:31 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Are you sure you are talking about the frameborder attribute since it only has two states true or false and XHTML 1.0 Frameset does support the frameborder.

Last edited by Robert Wellock on Mon May 19, 2003 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by Robert WellockSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:48 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thank you, RW, but it isn't working either way for me when I try W3C's valdator:

W3C's valdator wrote:
This page is not Valid XHTML 1.0 Frameset!
Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML parser.

Line 27, column 44: there is no attribute "frameborder" (explain...).
<frameset rows="58,1*" cols="*" frameborder="true">

Sad Neutral

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).

Last edited by verto on Fri May 16, 2003 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:07 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

maybe it goes in <frame> not <frameset>?

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 6:40 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

adam wrote:
maybe it goes in <frame> not <frameset>?

Thanks, adam, but I've already still got them in both frames for IE. NS for some reason wants it in the <frameset>.

verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 1:36 am (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Robert Wellock wrote:
Are you sure you are talking about the frameborder attribute since it only has two states true or false and XHTML 1.0 Frameset does support the frameborder.

I was going to say thanks again, both to RW and adam, as I didn't acknowledge that the XHTML Frameset standard actually DOES still support the frameborder attribute, although not in both <FRAME> AND <FRAMESET> tags, where I've been using them for quite a while now for most of my framed pages.

I just took a quick look throught the history of some of the standards to see when or if it ever was supported in the <FRAMESET> tag, but as far as I can tell, it never was. On the other hand, there are still lots of Websites with frames tutorials and guidlines recommending use of frameborder inside both the tags, along with using a slew of other attributes to control the spacing and borders. And that "cover all the bases and browsers approach" is what I've most used myself the last six or seven years.

Some posts at other forums have recommended using a tiny bit of CSS to control the borders, but most combinations that had any effect actually made the gaps bigger. So I think now I'll probably have to go to speccing different row heights for the two major browsers at least if I want to keep using my frames design, have it be XHTML-compliant, and have the fit between the frames still look roughly the same.

There's good chance I'll go to PHP to get the different sizes, so what I'm looking for now is a good PHP Browser Sniffing script (one I have now is pretty old, and wasn't specifically coded for NS6+ or any of the many newer browsers besides NS and IE). So don't be surprised to see a new post asking about that, if I don't find a more up-to-date sniffer in meantime.

Thanks. Smile

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: