4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

What does 'Pending Delete' really mean?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
GunstarHero
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 11:49 am (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi,

There's a .com domain that I'm after but I'm not sure if it's available. Some of the US sites that I've checked, I get:

Quote:
Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
Name Server: NS2.NETNATION.COM
Name Server: NS1.NETNATION.COM
Updated Date: 06-may-2003
Creation Date: 05-oct-1999
Expiration Date: 05-oct-2003

And it doesn't make it available to buy. Yet when I used 34SP it comes up as available to buy. I'm going to get hosting in the US, so can I buy this domain over here and then transfer it to my new host? Surely pending delete means that it's no longer used, right?

I've seen talk of nameservers etc but I haven't a clue what this means, all this pointing businesss! Where is a good resource for definitions such as NS?

Cheers all!

Anil
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by GunstarHeroSend Personal Message
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:10 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Did a few google searches - Not sure if this is much help:

Quote:
PENDINGDELETE: The registry sets the domain to this status when the
registrar successfully completes a DEL command and the domain has not
yet been purged from the registry database. Once in this status all
registrar requests to act on the domain name MUST be rejected. The
registry MAY remove this status and abort the pending purge
operation.
from: http://www.icann.org/tlds/org/applications/register/attachments/protocols/rrp/draft-hollenbeck-rfc2832bis-01.html

Also I read in numerous places that a .com will be available at 2 pm Eastern time on on the 6th day from the 'Updated Date'

make of that what you will Wink
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
GunstarHero
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:15 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Cheers Darren! Shocked
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:06 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I was just about to ask the same question!

Something funny though, I was after a domain that expired last september, and it hadn't been deleted last week, said expiry date 03-Sept 02, today it says 03-Sept-03 and Pending delete, why was it not released before now and why did they add an extra year?

Quote:
Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
Name Server: NS1.EXTRASECURITY.COM
Name Server: NS0.EXTRASECURITY.COM
Updated Date: 06-may-2003
Creation Date: 03-sep-1999
Expiration Date: 03-sep-2003
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
GunstarHero
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:41 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

your guess is as good as mine. Shocked

Since the one I enquired after is due to be dropped today, I've placed an order with 34SP to buy it. I'll wait 24/48 hours to see if it goes through. I'm paranoid that someone might have the domain on Snapback or other such service!!

If you still want the one you're after, perhaps you should just try and buy it as normal and get the ball rolling?
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:49 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Justin,

Quote:
As said, most registrars renew domains for another year upon expiry. They will have a chance to delete it and ask for a refund from the registry within the 45 days grace period.

From: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=141301
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:56 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks

Just a few more hours to go then if it's 2PM EST, will keep my eye on it.

But the thing is, it's been expired for ages now, why only pending delete 8 months after it expires?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:09 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

No idea!
I couldn't find any decent info on the 'official' sites like ICANN, Verisign, Internic...
All quite disappointing esp. their FAQ!
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: