4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Clawz - Don't Touch it with a 40ft reinforced barge pole!!
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
DarkMage78
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 8:39 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ok as you can probably tell from the title I'm a bit miffed with clawz.com.

I had been hunting for ages for a site other than Lycos that i could use to run phpbb on. Finally found clawz in the back pages of some search engine or another. Thought this should be good and sent the e-mail to sign up for a free account.

That took a week to happen. Then activated mysql in it. No probs. All is well and good until about a month later.

Now please remember that i have not yet released my site into the wild yet and am still developing it. Being very wairy of things going missing etc i took regular backups of the database as well as the site structure (yay broadband).

Come to add a few things on the site and cant connect to the ftp server. Hmmmm check the website. No sign of it. Must be some downtime. Check back the next day, still no site and no ftp. Odd. Third day i can get to clawz main but not mine. Try to logon and find that my account no longer exists.

No reply to e-mails.

I lost over a months work and have had to re-start from scratch on Lycos. But as a plus point some of the mods are working better!!

To sum up

AVOID CLAWZ.COM!!!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarkMage78Send Personal MessageSend emailAOL Instant MessengerYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 9:00 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Watch out for Lycos, then, DarkMage78, as I've had many similar problems with them in the past. Also their support is generally less than worthless in my experience.

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
:::
.: :. . : :....: :.: .: :. verto .: :. . : :....: :.: .: :.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
Hoobastank6889
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 9:17 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

if you want free hosting i have a list of all the sites which allows you to put forums on it, if you want reliability and 24/7 support and 95% uptime and above for FREE, you wont find it anywhere, unless maybe if you know the owner!

You shouldnt really blame clawz.com, they are free Rolling Eyes
They are doing the best they can, it doesnt seem like they making any money either

CirtexHosting Specials- Affordable and Quality WebHosting
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by Hoobastank6889Send Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteAOL Instant MessengerYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 7:32 am (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Looks like they do have a few paid services, but you can't expect much from a free company these days. Do they have banners?

Quote:
Increase mySQL Database Size by 10M, you will have to pay $12 for every 6 Months.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 8:07 am (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

hoobastank6889: Yes i understand that they are free but they could at least have the good manners to respond to my e-mail asking why my account has been deleted!

I know that i am not going to find a 100% reliable server for free but anything is better that using MSN much longer for my forum!!!

BUT with the better system lycos uses the updates to my forum that took a month because of slow up/download times has been cut 4 fold to 1 week!!!!

And (as i said in my original post) the updates are working better that with clawz....ODD isn't it.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarkMage78Send Personal MessageSend emailAOL Instant MessengerYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Hoobastank6889
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 2:46 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

well, i can recommend you a pretty good free host, 90% uptime
www.t35.com Very Happy

CirtexHosting Specials- Affordable and Quality WebHosting
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by Hoobastank6889Send Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteAOL Instant MessengerYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: