4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Femi: The Coolest Guy Ever
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
GXEman
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 6:34 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Could you guys please provide some feedback on my personal site. http://www.arches.uga.edu/~femi/

I'll be updating with style sheets in the next few weeks, but for now, this is what I have. Tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks guys.

Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 6:42 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It's kind of slow in loading Sad When I look at the source, it all seems to have loaded, so I'm puzzled as to what's stopping it from displaying... Maybe your counter?

The design is OK, but a bit bland. There is only one colour, and there are no graphics whatsoever. It's fine to use Notepad for coding Wink, but that doesn't stop you from spicing up the design a little Smile.

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 6:54 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It is a little slow loading and im preaty sure it is the counter. Also I know you want to only use notepad but whats wrong with using a program to help. Its a lot eaiser and faster to press a button and type in your and address for a link then type in the code <a href="location.html">Click here</a>. Its also faster to preview and stuff. I think it really slows down the making of a site if you only use notepad. I could write all my pages in notepad but it would probably take double the time for some of my pages. Im not saying dont use notepad, I use it all the time for stuff that the programs dont suport and for touchups. I just think its a waste of time to have to write the basic stuff on every page you make.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by KdawgSend Personal Message
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 7:26 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Kdawg wrote:
It is a little slow loading and im preaty sure it is the counter. Also I know you want to only use notepad but whats wrong with using a program to help. Its a lot eaiser and faster to press a button and type in your and address for a link then type in the code <a href="location.html">Click here</a>. Its also faster to preview and stuff. I think it really slows down the making of a site if you only use notepad. I could write all my pages in notepad but it would probably take double the time for some of my pages. Im not saying dont use notepad, I use it all the time for stuff that the programs dont suport and for touchups. I just think its a waste of time to have to write the basic stuff on every page you make.

I disagree, I use either gedit or vi to write HTML in and I find it far quicker to code by hand than to use a wysiwyg editor (I also don't know too many of them that support php Wink).

anyway, the design Smile I'm not too sure about the links, not a big fan of bullet lists for that kind of thing. I also think you should minimise the space used by everything above the random quote, it takes up almost half of the page. You should definately sort the colours out as well.

Oh, and as always, you should validate your html.

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 7:41 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

/me shudders at the thought of using vi.
<pimpage>I use UltraEdit to do my sites.</pimpage>

http://community.34sp.com
http://www.miguel.me.uk | http://www.sfcommand.co.uk | http://www.ssdg.org.uk
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by SfCommandSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 7:44 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

SfCommand wrote:
/me shudders at the thought of using vi.

lol! I used to hate vi, but it's grown on me Smile

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 7:46 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Give me pico anyday Very Happy
GXEman: I think there is something wrong with your counter, because in mozilla the site loads v. quick, but your counter seems to be AWOL Smile

http://community.34sp.com
http://www.miguel.me.uk | http://www.sfcommand.co.uk | http://www.ssdg.org.uk
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by SfCommandSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 8:56 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'd take about any popular text editor over Notepad.

About the page, I think the best thing you could do at this point would be to work on the colors. Contrast for body text esp. needs to be more readable, and that'd also help brighten the page, which is on the drab side.

Was going to say something about the bullets in the nav too -- they're sort of redundant -- but their black color actually works at this point to help hold the color scheme together. If you lose the bullets, you might try adding that black back somewhere else to the page.

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
:::
.: :. . : :....: :.: .: :. verto .: :. . : :....: :.: .: :.

Last edited by verto on Mon May 12, 2003 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
Kdawg
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 9:56 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well maybe with links and stuff, but when your messing with a layout it is nice because you can see it while your working on it. Also think about making a table with some text in it. With an editor you click insert table, type the text, and choose what you want it to look like. If you do it by hand yo need to type
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
  <head>
    <title>
    </title>
  </head>
  <body>
    <table width="100" border="1" align="center">
      <tbody>
        <tr>
          <td align="center">
            <font color="red" size="+3">Text</font>
          </td>
        </tr>
      </tbody>
    </table>
  </body>
</html>

adam wrote:
I also don't know too many of them that support php Wink .

I dont know of any, I use notpad for that. I normaly use notepad for html too, but I also use netscape composer to speed things up. I like being able to do the small stuff fast and then spend the rest of my time messing with the html in notepad.
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 10:54 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Kdawg wrote:
adam wrote:
I also don't know too many of them that support php Wink .

I dont know of any, I use notpad for that....

Most of the popular text editors I've used support PHP.
Kdawg wrote:
Well maybe with links and stuff, but when your messing with a layout it is nice because you can see it while your working on it. ...

Not sure if that's a reply to what I was talking about with file names. I meant saving your actual HTML work files to your system, not browsing for links.

Anyone have any useful tips for getting around the dev-unfriendly defaults in Notepad or WordPad? (besides using quotes for saving files)

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).

Last edited by verto on Mon May 12, 2003 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 12:06 am (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

adam wrote:
Oh, and as always, you should validate your html.

HTML code could definitely use some work ... lots of container-level tags missing, e.g., <tr>s and <td>s outside of any <table> and <li>s outside of a <ul> ... hey, maybe it works in YOUR browser, but who knows where and when it'll break? Wink

Also, it's strange that the cut-and-paste from htmlgoodies.com uses non-standard comment tags (four hypens in both open/close tags). Same comment as above. Wink

Last edited by verto on Mon May 12, 2003 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total
Kdawg
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 12:55 am (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

verto I was replying to adams post.
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:44 am (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Kdawg wrote:
verto I was replying to adams post.
thx, kdawg Cool

GXEman
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 4:37 am (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll keep all of this in mind when I redo the site.

The hardest parts of creating a website are choosing the colors and layout. Especially the colors. I'll try to come up with something better next time. What about pink and white? Wink

Edit- Ouch, didn't even notice all of the HTML mistakes. Also about the graphics, I only have 10 MB on this server I'm using. It's free so I'm not complaining.

Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 6:08 am (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Good and optimised graphics needn't take up much space Wink

I take it you're joking about pink and white Wink Pink only looks good in a small number of cases. Confused

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page 1, 2  Next