4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Desktop PC server
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Kdawg
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:51 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I was just wondering how hard it is to turn a desktop pc into a server. I have an older IBM that I would like to turn into a web server with CGI, PHP, MySQL, and all that good stuff Laughing I was wondering if any of you have done this and if anyone has a tutorial on how to do it. The IBM has a 12gb hard drive, 128mb ram, and a 400MHz pentium 2.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by KdawgSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:14 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

This may be useful to you:

http://www.4webhelp.net/tutorials/cgi/local.php

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:28 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I was reading the tutorial and started the install and one of the options is network domain, would this also be localhost?
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:30 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Not a clue Confused

What software are you installing when it asks this? Otherwise try Google Wink

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:35 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

apache http server, its under server info.
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:36 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Try localhost, if that fails, try Google. I haven't installed Apache for a long time now Smile

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:59 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I would expect it to be localhost.

http://localhost/

defaults, all the same on apache

Riker
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:33 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If you want to allow people to access it, I would recommend gettin a domain that points to your ip...something from dyndns.org is what I used to use, before I got a statis ip and got a real domain hosted on my comp...btw, the stuff from dyndns.org is free, or at least it used to be...not sure if it is atm
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by RikerSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's WebsiteAOL Instant MessengerYahoo MessengerICQ Number
SfCommand
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:41 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I use zoneedit.com, which allows you to control the DNS for up to 5 domains for free. Only problem is, you'll need a static IP (or one that changes very rarely).
Also, you could use othe services such as no-ip.com they have a download that'll update your domain to point to your IP (especially usefull if you have a dial-up account and hence a dynamic IP) Smile

http://community.34sp.com
http://www.miguel.me.uk | http://www.sfcommand.co.uk | http://www.ssdg.org.uk
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by SfCommandSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Kdawg
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:25 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Does anyone have a guide of how I would set up a computer as a webserver that is accessable by other people? Like host a web page on it that all you guys could access?
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:48 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Kdawg wrote:
Does anyone have a guide of how I would set up a computer as a webserver that is accessable by other people? Like host a web page on it that all you guys could access?

http://www.4webhelp.net/tutorials/cgi/local.php

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Kdawg
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:56 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I saw this article before, If I set it up this way how would other people access it, not just me but anyone who wanted to?
Riker
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:51 am (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I did not read the tutorial, but as you set up Apache, if that is what you decide to use as your webserver, as it is installed, it asks a couple questions, one of which is an address, which is stored in teh apache.conf....you can get an address at dyndns.org or no-ip.com (I have never used this one) and get a client that tells the site that ppoints the address to your ip that you have a new one
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by RikerSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's WebsiteAOL Instant MessengerYahoo MessengerICQ Number
zeroth
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:48 am (20 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Kdawg wrote:
I saw this article before, If I set it up this way how would other people access it, not just me but anyone who wanted to?

Sign up for an account here, then choose your desired hostname (like "something.ath.cx"), then open a command or MS-DOS prompt and type:
ipconfig
This will tell you your IP, which you can enter into the DynDNS control panel for your chosen hostname. Then, point your browser to: something.ath.cx (or whateve you chose) and if your server is running, then your site will be accessible from the internet :)
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by zerothSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteICQ Number
Kdawg
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:53 am (20 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

What ip should I use since im on a network?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page 1, 2  Next