4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

HTML problem
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
thor
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:13 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hey would some one be able to check out http://www.carousel182.com/home.php . there seems to be a problem with the html which puts the iframe outside the table the iframe is the bit with the news in , on the main page. I looked throught the html and couldn't find the problem. Another strange thing is the website seems to work like it should (with the iframe inside the main table) on some computers i'v been on but not others

Could some1 please help?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by thorSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:56 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Your HTML is very messy to say the last. I would first start identing your code, like so:

Code:
<table>
  <tr>
    <td></td>
  </tr>
</table>

Then get rid of the unnecessary <center> tags: they can usually be replaced with align="center" in the <td> tag.

Also make sure that all your <td>, <tr> and <table> tags are closed. That is most likely the problem.

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:16 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

i find it easier to read it the way i do it but i changed it for u . I check that all my <tr> <td> and <table> tags are closed and they are all closed any other suggestions?
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:23 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Right now you still have a lot of nested <table> tags, so it would be helpful if you could replace the <center> tags with align="center" as I suggested earlier.

This doesn't look quite right:

Code:
   <tr class="content">

Where is the <td>?

BTW this isn't very "elegant" Wink

Code:
        <iframe height="500px" width="583px" frameborder="0" name="content" src="http://www.carousel182.com/news/?">Your              Browser Sucks</iframe>

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:29 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ok i changed that

what isn`t very elegant ? the "Your Browser Sucks" bit?
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:32 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yes, "Your browser sucks".

You haven't changed the <center> tags yet, and you haven't fixed the problem with the missing <td> tag:

Code:
   <tr>
     <center>
     <!-- Template file for index_login.php IndexPage Login Hack by php@elitemaps.com -->

It's not possible to have any type of content inside a <tr> tag.

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:36 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ok i changed that stuff aswell now and it seems to be working so people tell me thanx for the help Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:47 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
Your HTML is very messy to say the last. ...

Your code's still a mess, carousel, and even if you never plan any changes or edits to your page, it may well be worth your while to clean it up before you run into other problems, such as having it break in newer or other browser versions you haven't tested.

I suggest running it thru an HTML validator. I tried the W3C's validator just to see what was up, and there were over 45 errors, including several that Daniel has already mentioned above but which you've obviously ignored.

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
:::
.: :. . : :....: :.: .: :. verto .: :. . : :....: :.: .: :.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:03 am (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Just wanted to add to verto's point: if you have clean, valid code in the first place (indented is a plus too - don't know how you find it easier to read without indentation! Smile), then you very rarely have the type of problems you had. In the long run it'll save you time, and you'll be able to proudly display a button on your page which says your HTML is valid Very Happy (although I'm not sure if iframe is even valid in some DTDs anymore... Question).

Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:52 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I believe iframes are part of the html spec, but I can't be bothered checking so who knows? Very Happy

Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:07 am (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Here's what my tests revealed Very Happy

- HTML 4.01 Transitional: valid
- HTML 4.01 Strict: unvalid
- XHTML 1.0 Transitional: valid
- XHTML 1.0 Strict: unvalid

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:38 am (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
Yes, "Your browser sucks".

It's not possible to have any type of content inside a <tr> tag.

Except <td> tags of course Wink
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by HertzsprungSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:53 am (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Except <td> tags aren't content Wink
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Hertzsprung
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:10 am (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Darren wrote:
Except <td> tags aren't content Wink

Fair point Smile
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by HertzsprungSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
drathbun
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:11 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

... and <td> tags don't go inside of the <tr>, the are contained by them. You don't do <tr <td>> you do <tr><td>. That's different. Wink

Dave

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page 1, 2  Next