4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Real Media
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:22 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Does anyone know anything about it?

Am I right in thinking it can be used to let people hear music but not download to their computer?

Does it require anything special on the server?

what software is required to create the files? is it free?

any info appreciated.
thanks
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:56 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I believe you can create the files with Real Producer...I think there's a free version, at least there used to be http://www.real.com/

Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:05 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

The software adam is talking about seems to now be called Helix Producer. The free version is called Helix Producer Basic, and is available at http://forms.real.com/rnforms/products/tools/producerbasic/index.html?key=6T5V41046973850. More information on Helix Producer at http://www.realnetworks.com/products/producer/basic.html and http://www.realnetworks.com/products/producer/index.html.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:08 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

wow...it's been so long since I used it that they've changed its name...

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:53 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Darren wrote:
Does anyone know anything about it?
Does it require anything special on the server?

Yeah, It needs streaming software on the server which costs a few 100 if not thousands of dollars last time I checked.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
adam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:31 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

only if you want to stream live data...you can still host a static media file without the server software.

Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:27 am (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

and if its a static file does that mean a user can download the file on to their computer or will it just be played to them with no way of saving the file locally?

I want the latter behaviour.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
adam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:35 am (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I think the default is for the client to not allow the user to save the file...I wonder how hard it would be to capture the data stream...

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:51 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

You can use a program called Streambox to download real media streams
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by blturnerSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:15 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

OK, I don't know much about these things, but if it's a plain RealAudio file, even though RealAudio Player won't let you save it, can't you just save it the same way you would save any other file (something like "Save target as"?) Question

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:39 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

lol...yeah, you probably can. Though with some media formats, the file available over http is a playlist to another file, for example with windows media the playlist sends you to mms://domain/path/to/file

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: