4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Do you think we should install some avatars on these forums?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Poll :: Do you think we should install some avatars on these forums?

Yes
89%
 89%  [ 17 ]
No
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 19

Peter
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:08 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I hate default avatars - they should be distinctive for those that really want to use them - if we put a selection on the site then eeryone will use them, they'll lose their impact, and the forums will take longer to download.

Peter.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by PeterSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerICQ Number
roly
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 9:28 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

no forums come with any good avatars, avatar uplading isn't a security risk! my forums at http://www.rolysvirtualpets.com/phpBB2/ have avatar uploading and it isn't a risk!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by rolySend Personal MessageSend email
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 9:49 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It is mark my words, there are some very nasty induviduals out there who hack because they get a thrill out of it, I've had to put up with some of that on my sites, plus who knows what they may upload! Laughing
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
roly
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 10:28 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

They might enen upload a wen gem that downloads a virus!
JdS
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 6:12 am (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

why not look for avatars at the boards of phpBB2 itself, i know they use a couple of galleries or more - like one they use that's popular is the simpsons theme...

i didn't know phpbb 1.4x had avatar support.

instead of assuming it's a security risk, why not confirm it by asking the ppl of phpbb2 while u're at it. i know on the board, they allow u to upload ur own avatar.

'New script on the Block' - GIDtopsites
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JdSSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
WebSketcher
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 11:57 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I found this place http://www.freeavatars.net/

It may intesrest someone. Easy tu use, large choice sorted by topics and still can hotlink from their web site Wink
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by WebSketcherSend Personal MessageSend email
Gally
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 3:55 am (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

One suggestion if you are going to allow uploading of avatars is to restrict the size and/or filesize of the pictures. Say, max of 100x100 pixels and no bigger than 40k - for example.

You could have a contest for avatar submissions Wink

That or use something like this to make some avatars (storTroopers). They're kinda fun Razz
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by GallySend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 9:00 am (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Gally wrote:

One suggestion if you are going to allow uploading of avatars is to restrict the size and/or filesize of the pictures. Say, max of 100x100 pixels and no bigger than 40k - for example.

I think that's a feature of phpBB, but I'm not sure.

Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 9:05 am (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Quote:
Check out the avatars here:

http://www.myriscos.co.uk/user.php?op=avatarlist&module=NS-NewUser

It is where I got mine from.

Those are Nuke avatars I think, so I don't know if we can use them. Also, they're more appropriate for smilies, not for avatars.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 1:28 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

how about going to Microsoft Design Gallery Live (http://dgl.microsoft.com) and getting some PC pictures and then re-size them to 100x100 and upload them here.

If you have all avatars @ 100x100, no bigger and no smaller, then it would look better.

It would be better if you don't allow people to use their own avatars from their websites coz they could use anything.

Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 1:31 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

chris4000 wrote:

It would be better if you don't allow people to use their own avatars from their websites coz they could use anything.

They could use anything, but they won't. Do you see any objectionable avatars around here? And if they are objectionable, we'll get rid of them. This works fine on lots of forums I know.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 1:48 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yeh, I spose.

Oh, and Dan, did you get my PM? I'm not sure if it got sent coz my PC was crashing all the time when I was trying to send it.

Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 1:52 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yes, I got your PM. I have asked the rest of the team. I wouldn't get your hopes up, because I think we have enough already.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 2:16 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Um, ok. How about working on the website itself and not the forum. Are you still accepting help for that?

roly
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 9:10 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

phpBB 1.4 doesn't have any avatars! Avatars are a hack and the avatars in the hack are the same as in 2.0!
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page Previous  1, 2