4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Major danger Portland
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
ShanoftheForest
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:41 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ok other thread describes Portland as slow, limited bandwidth, irritating, total lack of support ....

When you get to the end of a year's registration they DELIBERATELY don't email you to renew till the day after your registration expires. That way you HAVE to pay for another 2 years (eg domain name fee if you have the "free" hosting). Nice trick.
Check your certificate of reg. date so this doesn't happen to you.
In order to get free from them I paid the 2 years £35 whatever, AND then paid the much more reasonable fee to Compila (now they are fine)

Also the only way to get support on Portland is phone, and insist you talk to the bloke. More than once when I did this, he bumped EVERYONE off their ftp links - he thought this was very funny, laughed a lot. So if you're trying to upload new edit and get bumped off it's your server owner having fun!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by ShanoftheForestSend Personal Message
webgirly
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:16 pm (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Do you mean portland.co.uk? I was with them for a while... yeh, the support is terrible...
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by webgirlySend Personal Message
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:39 pm (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Quote:

When you get to the end of a year's registration they DELIBERATELY don't email you to renew till the day after your registration expires. That way you HAVE to pay for another 2 years (eg domain name fee if you have the "free" hosting). Nice trick.
Cool Laughing

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
norm
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:43 am (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

webgirly wrote:
Do you mean portland.co.uk? I was with them for a while... yeh, the support is terrible...

Terrible is an understatement. They are cr*p. I went against my better judgment and used them after f2s got rid of freehosting.
* They took ages to setup my DNS entries for my domain (as in 2 weeks to setup).
* Then they had my DNS A record pointing to my freehosting space and not my paid for "enhanced" account.
* Then around 3 months later the managed to delete my SOA (sign of authority) for my domain. Meaning that it disappeared from the internet for another 72hrs.
* Their pop server's are rubbish and keep on losing passwords everywhere!
* Now they keep on sening me automated junk mail asking me to cough up for another years hosting. Yeah right! Not with them!!!

Anyway, I've managed to get rid of them at last I've moved to 34sp.com as recommended by many people on this site Very Happy . I've also moved my domain name to 123-reg as well for free Surprised. So I'm now very happy!!!!! Surprised)

Sorry about the whinge
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by normSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteMSN MessengerICQ Number
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: