4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Looking for host?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
davy_boy
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:32 pm (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

hi there. i'm looking for a host / domain to put my portfolio.

does anyone know any good web hosts that are cheap. i don't really won't to spend alot of money on one.

i would like PHP, CGI and high bandwidth and web space.

thanks, davy_boy
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by davy_boySend Personal MessageMSN Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:48 pm (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

With those requirements, I could find hundreds of hosts. You're going to have to be a little more precise.

• How much bandwidth do you need?
  • How much space do you need?
  • Any particular features you need other than PHP & Perl?

Since it's a portfolio, I'm kind of wondering if you need the high bandwidth... Question

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:33 pm (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

hmm,

high bandwidth
php and perl would be useful
and unlimited pop 3 accounts

and a fair ammount of webspace.

thanks, davy_boy!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by davy_boySend Personal MessageMSN Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:03 pm (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If you don't either set a price, or set an amount of bandwidth/space, then the possibilities are unlimited (well, not really, but they're huge). Make up your mind as to what you'd like to spend, and see what you can get for your money, or make up your mind what you need (there's no point having twice as much space as you need) and see what the best price you can get for it is.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:49 pm (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

well about

2GB transfer p/m
200Mb webspace
unlimited pop3
php, perl, ASP and support for WAP and XML

and about £20 per year (more if need be) and will pay extra for .com domains.

thanks, davy_boy
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:07 am (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ah... ASP support is going to be much more difficult, because of the fact that PHP & Perl run best on Linux, and ASP doesn't run well at all on Linux. Sad

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:43 pm (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

i'm really not bothered about ASP.

as long as i can run CGI and PHP scripts.

thanks, davy_boy
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:53 pm (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I doubt you're going to get anything reliable for that price, davy_boy. You'd be lucky to find ~50 mb space with ~1 gb bandwidth for £20 pounds, never mind 200 mb space and 2 gb bandwidth...

My advice: if you can't afford more, maybe reconsider your bandwidth/space needs. Do you really need that much space/bandwidth for a portfolio?

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:08 am (21 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

as i sed in my third post, i am willing to pay more if a i have to. i don't mind paying more, i just don't want to spend loads on a domain and hosting.

thanks, davy_boy
oneil
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:18 am (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I think www.worldhosters.net may be helpful for your needs.They are the cheapest i've ever met.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by oneilSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:55 am (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Uh oh... Cyberwings alert! Mr. Green

Oh well, good luck to them. I doubt they'll still be around this time next year Sad

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:31 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

talk to the boys at 34sp, basic package i think is £15 a year which has a reasonable set of features and services, and you can upgrade for more bandwidth and webspace as and when needed for not much extra
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vdubSend Personal Message
UKPC
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 6:19 pm (20 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

hey

wait wait

Try www.eniki.net it is really good hosting and good value for money, and as far as i know it does alot of stuff.

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: