4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

PHP vs. Perl
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
metsfan922
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:16 pm (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

without being biased, please tell me the difference, which is more efficient, and which u prefer and why
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by metsfan922Send Personal Message
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:30 pm (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

PHP -

1) More Efficent
2) More Reliable
3) Faster
4) Easier to Learn
5) No Internal Server Errors
6) Easier to configure Scripts.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
metsfan922
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:33 pm (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

is perl more powerful than php? my friend described php as gay because its not powerful and that perl is the only real language
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by metsfan922Send Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:09 pm (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'm not sure about the more powerful question. In what way?

PHP was meant for the web, Perl wasn't originally.

I must say that I prefer PHP, even though I discovered Perl first, because Perl can't be embeded in the HTML, and because it's a pain to debug.

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:25 am (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It depends what you want to use it for. PHP is basically a web scripting language, and is designed for rapid web development.

Perl is a general programming language with great text manipulation features, but a really variable syntax (there's no one true way to do something in Perl) and I've found it impossible to get to grips with properly, unlike PHP.

It's better to treat PHP as it's own class of language and compare Perl with Python, which is the language I'm currently learning (along with Actionscript/ECMAscript). Brilliant for building GUI... but web work is much harder in python than PHP.

HTH
Peter

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:17 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

as far as web programming goes: stick to php.

i learnt perl and did an enormous amount of coding, and then discovered the alternatives in php... which are so easy! For example, PHP has lots of built in functions that are dead handy for webpages (dates, sorting etc.) that you'd have to code for yourself in perl.

php retains all form elements without having to program routines to decode them as in perl

php is very easy to integrate with html.

mysql support is super in php and much *much* easier than in perl.

perl isn't just a web programming language, and as such, it can be daunting as it has so many paths and uses... so like I said, if you want to program webpages, use php.

another thing, there are a lot more people using php who seem happy enough to share help with coding, than strictly "web-only" perl programmers, in my hunts for support too...

amadeus
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by amadeusSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
tyj82
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 3:06 am (21 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

what about in flat file database ?
which one is better.
does PHP support matching word ?
using this ~=

can php read a files in the directory ?
can php get visitor info such as IP. web browser type, operation system, ...... like perl do ?

I never use php before but i have used perl for some time

i about to learn PHP for my web page
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by tyj82Send Personal Message
tyj82
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 3:07 am (21 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

oh ya
one more thing
does php support pop mail retrieving ?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by tyj82Send Personal Message
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 11:27 am (21 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

tyj82 wrote:
does PHP support matching word ?
using this ~=

Supports regular expressions if thats what you mean.

tyj82 wrote:
can php read a files in the directory ?

Yes

tyj82 wrote:
can php get visitor info such as IP. web browser type, operation system, ...... like perl do ?

Yes
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 5:10 am (21 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

tyj82 wrote:
one more thing
does php support pop mail retrieving ?

yeah.

You may think of PHP as Perl++ for the web related programming while Perl-- for traditional apps in which Perl is used.

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
AlexeyMas
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:38 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

metsfan922 wrote:
without being biased, please tell me the difference, which is more efficient, and which u prefer and why

Surprised It's a religion question.

Like what is better Clipper or FoxPro some years ago.

Perl is more powerful but have some weak spot.

Perl is more language like one. PHP is modern one.

By the way we try to create the Perl based system wich is more simple when PHP... We can't make this thing on PHP... imho.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by AlexeyMasSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
drathbun
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:41 am (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Neither is better or worse than the other, they are just tools. Use the right tool for the job. Wink

I run a forum with phpBB software written in php (like this one). But I have batch (cron) jobs scheduled to run at specific times during the day. They're written in perl.

Could phpBB have been written completely in perl? Yes, it could.
Could my batch jobs have been written in php? Probably.

But it comes down to which is the best tool for the specific job. Without providing more details, there can be no "best" answer. And if you read through the previous answers in this topic, you'll see that folks say "For {this task} use {this tool}" which is exactly what I am saying. For certain types of tasks, one (or the other) will be better. But in my opinion, there is no clear "winner" for best overall.

My two cents. Not adjusted for inflation.

Dave

adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:00 pm (21 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

well said, dave

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: