4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Online users on home page
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
pooters
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:43 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hey all;
On the 4WebHelp home page I noticed a feature that says "users online" and indicates how many users are on the site. I'd like to be able to do this for my site. Can you tell me how this was done?

Thanks,
pooters
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by pootersSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
tevans5
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:21 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Very Happy I would like to know this too!!!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by tevans5Send Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:47 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I think it's a hack from phpbb.com isn't it?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:20 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yes, it is. See http://www.phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=201 to get it.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:10 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks,
Now that I've got it, how do I use it? The instructions say I need MySQL. Can you send me instructions on how to use this? If you need to, my e-mail is clifford_beck@theoffice.net

Thanks Shocked
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by pootersSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:43 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Oh wait a minute... Aren't you using phpBB?

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:56 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

hey;
yes. I downloaded it recently. The file size is very small. How do I use it with the 'users online' feature?

Thanks Shocked
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:15 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Have you read the file "online_english.txt"? There's not really anything to do: every page on which you want to display the online users must include "online.php".

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:46 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'm starting to get it. Can you send me a small sample web page so that I can see exactly how to set up the code? Do I simply link the web page to the .php file or do I copy and paste the .php files code into the web page? I don't mean to sound dense, but I've never dealt with php files before.

Thanks Again Rolling Eyes
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:57 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Name the file on which you want to have the online users info with a name ending in ".php". Then put the online.php file in the same directory as your page.

Add this to the page in the place where you want the users online info:

Code:
<? include ('online.php'); ?>

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:41 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I do not wish to create a seperate file for online user info -- just a display on the page showing how many users are on. Is this code: <?php include('online.php');?> written into a hyperlink? example: <a href="?php include('online.php');?"> </a> If this is not correct, please show me an example of how it is used.

Thanks Confused
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 7:05 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

No, it doesn't go in a link. You have to name all pages where you want this info with a name ending in .php (there is another way to do it by keeping the .html extension - ask me if you want to know how). Then include the code I gave you somewhere on your page.

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: