4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Email question
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:54 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yeah, but cheap doesn't always mean better to be honest, I try to stick with people who I trust, or have experience with, or others have. Is the domain in your name?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
billdavies
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:00 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yeah, I knew that when I went but they were really helpful before and i asked all the questions but now it's all gone mad!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by billdaviesSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteMSN Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:17 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If you're paying under about $10/month, then you probably won't get to keep the domain name after only one month, since domain names cost about $10 on their own, never mind your month of hosting!

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:27 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thought so...That's really annoying as it's the domain name I want!!

Do you think if I offered him some money he may reconsider? Is that not very good thing to do or is it worth the risk? I'll obviosly wait to see what he says about changing them first. How much should I offer it it comes to this?

Thanks
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by billdaviesSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteMSN Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:28 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well how much does your host charge for domain names on their own?

And what does the contract say?

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:34 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ooo, reply, it will cost me $16.95 as that is how much they charge for just a domain and that's what they'll want for moving it around. That seems reasonable.

They have also said
"Sorry, we can only provide technical support for problems with your webpage
or Cpanel but on questions like this we can only offer advice on how to
solve your custom scripting needs, we can't be responsible for finding the
script or writing it for you. We do custom scripting at a rate of $60.00
dollars an hour but I am sure if you just look hard enough you can find a
script out there or advice from someone who has been trying to do the same
thing you are trying to do."

Suppose that is fair.
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:39 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I don't consider that fair at all. The script is written already. What isn't working is running it via CPanel, which certainly qualifies for "problems with your webpage or Cpanel".

Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:40 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Oh, wait a sec. I had an idea. Try putting this in as the command:

Code:
CURL http://extremelinks.net/script.php > /dev/null

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:59 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ok, just to check everything the command i put was:

CURL http://extremelinks.net/crontest.php > /dev/null

That right?!
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:05 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yes, that's right.

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:36 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Guess what?! It didn't work!!

I have asked my host and she has told me what she thinks I want, she doesn't know but she's onto her PHP programmer and is doing some research for me. Isn't that what a normal host should do?! She knows that Mailman etc won't do it so she has said that she'll keep on looking, and I'm not even a customer yet!

Bill
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:13 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Do you mean you asked another host about this?

Anyway, it doesn't require any complicated programming; it's just a simple email for God's sake!

I have one last suggestion: try signing up at webcron.org for a free cron account, which will do the same thing. Unfortunately, it's all in French, but I can help if you want.

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:27 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yeah, one I was originally going to go with when I finished with F2S and then completely forgot about!

"No, Cpanel is working correctly, we do not have Lynx installed/enabled
because it is a security risk and its use is that of a web browser which is
not needed on the server. I also don't think the script is working correctly
because it is very very rare for any web accessible server to have Lynx
installed. I suggest finding a Perl script that would do the same, this
should be very easy to find since all you are trying to do is have it send
out a mass email at a certain time. Can you forward me the URL to the post
on the forum where they told you to do this?"

I don't wanna tell him where to find this!!

I tried having a look on google but I got all these scripts I have to pay for. I saw lots of people on other scripts using echo instead of curl or dump, is this any help?
billdavies
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:45 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Just heard back from my future host, I was meant to be using GET http://url.php and guess what, it worked!!!

Thanks for all your help though as you haven't given up on me and shows me how rubbish my host is.
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:43 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Lynx is a security risk! Haha Laughing

Glad you got it sorted though.

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next