4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Damaged mup.sys file?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:06 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ben wrote:
Windows file protection is restoring it because it sees it as having changed. The one its replacing it with will be the correct one, so in short the file probably isn`t damaged
Ben's right

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:57 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

But it has been known for viruses to trick this, as my mup.sys file (admittly it's on Windows.NET) is NOWHERE near 42mb
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:55 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

my inference:

that should have been a typo i guess its 42 kb
he said the size is half. other one is 84kb

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
billdavies
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 6:01 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I did look around and found that they main ways of this file being damaged was from a local attacker. I am not on a network and I have a good firewall so I don't think that could be it.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by billdaviesSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteMSN Messenger
morrian
Invisible Member
Invisible Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:41 pm (20 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I had this same problem in Windows XP and finally figured out what fixed it
in my case. I couldn't boot regularly, safe mode, from the XP CD, etc. I
had no way of getting into the system!

The USB problems people have mentioned on various message boards prompted
me to check my usb mouse out. It's an optical mouse so I could try it in
another machine and tell immediately whether it was working (since it lit
up). Unplugging it and plugging it in again while the machine was off
didn't help. But when I got to the mup.sys line while safe mode was
booting I unplugged the USB mouse and the machine continued to boot! I now
have the mouse plugged in and it reboots with no problems.

So, yet one more thing to try; unplug all of your USB devices after the
mup.sys line appears. It may just continue!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by morrianSend Personal Message
gjackson
Invisible Member
Invisible Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:51 am (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I found the cause of this problem to be a faulty CD-ROM drive that was damaged during a brownout. Replaced the CD-ROM and the PC booted up just fine. Hope this helps someone.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by gjacksonSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
michael
Invisible Member
Invisible Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:42 pm (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

The reason that the file on the disk is half the size is that it is compressed. You should not just copy it to a location and rename it. you need to use the recovery consoles copy/expand function to un-archive the file and put it where it needs to be. You can type help copy or help expand in the recovery console to get the correct syntax (it's rather simple, so you should be able to figure it out).
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by michaelSend Personal Message
carolblake1975
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:43 pm (20 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Couldn't you just backup your files and then do a full re-installation??

USB phone / baby monitor
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by carolblake1975Send Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
I, Brian
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:14 pm (20 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

gjackson wrote:
I found the cause of this problem to be a faulty CD-ROM drive that was damaged during a brownout. Replaced the CD-ROM and the PC booted up just fine. Hope this helps someone.

I can only saw that I'm glad this hasn't happened to me - but what is scary is how simple the different solutions have been. It's always the little things...

OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by I, BrianSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
djskuld
Invisible Member
Invisible Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:01 am (19 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Check it out. Once I learned that all bio's flashes all updates and drivers didnt work. I read about someone who removed there usb 2.0 card and bam it worked. My mouse is usb powered. Guess what fixed my problem Wink

Update. It is a hardware problem. Remove soundcards usb all that stuff 1 by 1 and try it

billdavies wrote:
Hi,

I am currently running Windows 2000/Windows 98 or a partitioned hard drive. Recently when the computer is loading either one, it takes a long time to load, sometimes 5 minutes. When I managed to look at what the computer was doing, it always stopped at a file called Mup.sys (WINNT/System32/Drivers/Mup.sys).

This file is must be damaged, but how can I tell and what could i do to sort it out?

Bill
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by djskuldSend Personal Message
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page Previous  1, 2