4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Damaged mup.sys file?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
billdavies
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 3:10 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi,

I am currently running Windows 2000/Windows 98 or a partitioned hard drive. Recently when the computer is loading either one, it takes a long time to load, sometimes 5 minutes. When I managed to look at what the computer was doing, it always stopped at a file called Mup.sys (WINNT/System32/Drivers/Mup.sys).

This file is must be damaged, but how can I tell and what could i do to sort it out?

Bill
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by billdaviesSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteMSN Messenger
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 3:32 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi

Get someone to perhaps to send you a win2000 copy of mup.sys that works?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
billdavies
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:33 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Do you think that would work? I don't know if the file is unique to each computer etc...
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by billdaviesSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteMSN Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:47 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Have you tried searching microsoft.com to see what they have to say about it?

Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:01 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

billdavies wrote:
Do you think that would work? I don't know if the file is unique to each computer etc...

surely it's worth a shot Very Happy

Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:07 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

look for it in the compressed files which come with the installer (.cab) , and extract it and repplace.

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
billdavies
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 5:39 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Sorry, where would i find the .cab file. I know what you mean as I've seen them before but don't know where to find this one!

Thanks
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 5:41 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I assume you would fine it on the Windows installation disk...

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:12 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ok, I have found a read only MUP.SY_ file. What should i do with that? I couldn't find a .cab file with it in though.
adam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:19 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

billdavies wrote:
Ok, I have found a read only MUP.SY_ file. What should i do with that? I couldn`t find a .cab file with it in though.
copy it, and rename the copy to mup.sys...that should work

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:32 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

yup that is the file. in .cab files generally last character in extension is missing and is _ Wink

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
billdavies
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:36 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ok, I've looked at the two files at they seem completely different coding wise, the current file is twice the size of the one of the disk. I am just checking that no one thinnks this is going to make my computer go bye bye.
adam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:19 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

billdavies wrote:
Ok, I`ve looked at the two files at they seem completely different coding wise, the current file is twice the size of the one of the disk. I am just checking that no one thinnks this is going to make my computer go bye bye.
maybe that's why the current one isn't working...

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:54 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ok. I did it but not much really changed!

The file on the Windows 2000 disk is 42.0MB that was last modified 07 December 1999.

I transferred that to the hard drive (not the place it was meant to be yet), renamed it and unticked read-only. It still had the same properties as before (size etc).

I then deleted the current mup.sys file that is 84.9 KB and was last modified 22 July 2002. After replacin the file, the new mup.sys turned into the old one, same size, same last modified, same structure.

Is this some silly Windows thing and how do I get around it?

Thanks
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 6:05 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Windows file protection is restoring it because it sees it as having changed. The one its replacing it with will be the correct one, so in short the file probably isn't damaged

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page 1, 2  Next