4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Good Unmetered UK ISP Wanted
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:37 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I can't believe this, I finally get settled with an ISP, using BT Together 24x7 with Internet (basically AnyTime but on your phone bill for £16.99)after getting chucked off Surftime, and now they're going to do this (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/27339.html) to us?

12 Hours per 24 doesn't get abused by me anymore, because I'm in college, but it did during the summer holidays a few times as I left the machine on unattended downloading things.

Now it's going to be cut to 5 hours per day? I guess BT will tell me to upgrade to broadband won't they?

Well, lets see, My exchange is not enabled, and so far has 60 pre registrations, only another 240 to go, we may have broadband by this time next millenium if we're lucky.

BT Suck, and this is getting stupid now, does anyone else know any other ISP's without Stupid Limits? So Far I've been With :

Tiscali - ****
Freedom2Surf - Now Only 20 hours per week
Vispa - now are 120 hours per month
Firenet - Got Kicked off too.
LineOne - Was with them for 1 and a half years, until Tiscali took them over and made a right mess of them.

And Finally BT Openworld - It's been a good 6 months, but these restrictions are going too far now.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:05 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

We don't really have any dialup access which is "unlimited" in France... All we have is broadband (luckily I'm in a covered area Mr. Green)

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:22 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
All we have is broadband (luckily I'm in a covered area Mr. Green)

Don't Rub it in......please! It's almost as bad as what BT did the other day - coming to my door trying to flog me broadband........Then I tell him I can't get it here, then he phones his boss up and they eventually realise I can't.....

Says a lot for BT doesn't it? Smile
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:26 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

What a bunch of idiots... Never heard of such stupidity...

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:23 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Freeserve isnt too bad

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:28 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Been with Freeserve Twice before, got kicked the first time for using more than 200 hours per month, and second time I got fed up with the "This Number Is Not Accepting Calls at Present - Please Try Again Later" message after about 10.00pm every night without fail.
ShanoftheForest
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:20 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

ntlworld is great if you can get it set up - £15pm but you get £15 worth of tel calls so it's virtually free (think new users now pay £5 a month actual charges. You have to put a box on the phone socket they send you. Make sure you go to ntlWORLD site not just ntl.
Very slow updating server cache though - static html pages can take hours to refresh! so sometimes if I'm editing I test with freeuk. Forget getting support.

plusnet is pretty good too. For plusnet I specify 3 telnos I want to use, can change any of them online. Has a 20hours a week deal for £9.99 24/7 is standard £15. Has telephone support.

So I have those two, total cost £9.99 per month, plusnet mostly for my laptop or backup. Then freeuk if I want a fast update for short sessions of checking new html. I also put my freeuk account temporarily on a client machine if I'm demonstrating a site on their desktop (I often don't like the rubbish they use).

BT and Tiscali are the absolute worst - Tiscali are still dunning me for £30 fees since I dumped them 2 years ago and they refused to disconnect me and went on charging me - sent them emails, phoned WROTE LETTERS, called in Oftel ...
BT gets such bad reviews in .net mag and internet mag that I didn't even consider it.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by ShanoftheForestSend Personal Message
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: