4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

who is very knowledgeable with the nukiens (nvphost)??
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
rudme
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 3:01 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I found a way to use the .htaccess and ;htpassword
files in my cgi bin there i believe, but somehow
so far it is not working.
Does anyone of you know exactly what kind of lines it needs for this host to work
I have so far tried this:
AuthName Administration
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /xxx/home/xx/xxx/x/me/cgi-bin/subdir/subdir2/.htpasswd
require valid-user

Anyone knows a better way to try??
Rud
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by rudmeSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 5:10 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

For it to work, mod_auth module should be there with Apache. Are you sure Apache is installed with it ?

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
rudme
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:11 am (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

jayant wrote:

For it to work, mod_auth module should be there with Apache. Are you sure Apache is installed with it ?

Maybe only at the movies? (just a quick joke)
No, seriously, i have in the meantime tried the same thing that worked on f2s ergo:
AuthUserFile /var/www/html/home/vhost/com/nukien/me/cgi-bin/subdir/subdir2/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName 'Useroo Administration'
AuthType Basic

<limit GET PUT POST>
require valid-user
</limit>

this time i got at least the signin popup.
However, when i logged in it returned a "login failure", try again popup,
and i do not not know if that would mean Apache is there or not.
Would i get the signin popup regardless if Apache is there or not is the question???
Rud
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by rudmeSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 4:42 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

rudme wrote:

jayant wrote:

No, seriously, i have in the meantime tried the same thing that worked on f2s ergo:
AuthUserFile /var/www/html/home/vhost/com/nukien/me/cgi-bin/subdir/subdir2/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthType Basic

<limit GET PUT POST>
require valid-user
</limit>

Would i get the signin popup regardless if Apache is there or not is the question???
Rud

you don't get that pop-up if mod_auth module ain't there. i guess you have the wrong the set of username/password in .htpasswd, did you use Make-a-Pass script to generate the encrypted password ?

OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Bill
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 5:35 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Have you tried putting the .htaccess into your cgi-bin and pointing it to a .htpasswd file in a subdirectory under httpdocs?

Code:

Example:

AuthUserFile /var/www/html/home/vhost/com/nukien/me/subdir/subdir2/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthType Basic

<limit GET PUT POST>
require valid-user
</limit>

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 12:02 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

jayant wrote:

rudme wrote:

jayant wrote:

AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthType Basic

<limit GET PUT POST>
require valid-user
</limit>

Rud

you don't get that pop-up if mod_auth module ain't there. i guess you have the wrong the set of username/password in .htpasswd, did you use Make-a-Pass script to generate the encrypted password ?

Hmm, no i used the encription thing on virtualave, this worked on vave and on f2s and on some others and i made extra sure that i use the password/login name combi i know well enough, so there must still be another problem with nukien that i think could only be known by someone who has successfully tried it before me, but go and ask them (the support i mean), they answer in french or broken english telling you cgi is not available all though it is!

Oh by the way, your link to that (your?) http://www.webextractions.f2s.com/ site returned a Unsolved Host Name Error, i guess it's the sign of shutdown at f2s
Rud
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 5:36 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

class::htpasswd or make htaccess and htpasswd are decent choices. (they will work too Laughing )

rudme
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:36 pm (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

jayant wrote:

class::htpasswd or make htaccess and htpasswd are decent choices. (they will work too :lol: )

Good to know, but i have no clue in what context you are talking about????
Your link? To complicated for a non scripter like me to understand
make htaccess and htpassword = i have that already
and, looking at that file and trying it on my hard drive does not result in anything.
What i need to find out is what exactly works on nvphost/nukien.com
or, does it make any difference if the 2 files are visible in the FTP program or not???
Rud
roly
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:14 am (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

umm... i don't think .htaccess & .htpasswd are supported by nvphost. to make perl scripts work you have to in your main dir create a dir called CGI-BIN, CHMOD it 755 and set the perl paths to /usr/bin/perl for an example see http://www.phpnova.nukien.com/cgi-bin/perl_test.cgi
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by rolySend Personal MessageSend email
roly
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:17 am (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

oh yeah despite perl test script saying that sendmail is /usr/lib/sendmail its actuly /usr/sbin/sendmail as thats wat PHP is configured for!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by rolySend Personal MessageSend email
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: