4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Plesk 5.0
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:48 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I know that a lot of you don't like Plesk (too slow, too hard to find your way around it, etc... Wink, but I just wanted to let you know that a new version of Plesk has come out: Plesk 5.0. (I don't know why they went from 2.5 to 5.0!)

This new version includes a file manager (not sure if that was a good choice Rolling Eyes), an improved design, better log file rotation, an upgraded version of all software (including IMP! They're FINALLY using IMP 3!), support for "premade packages" (for people selling web hosting) and more!

For more information, visit http://www.plesk.com/, or for a demo, visit http://www.plesk.com/html/products/psa/demo.htm

If you are a customer hosted on Plesk server, you probably won't be on Plesk 5 yet, because Plesk apparently haven't released the upgrade scripts yet Rolling Eyes

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:01 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Still handles subdomains as seperate accounts Rolling Eyes

Personally I used to like plesk.. but having used cpanel I doubt I could go back.

Also cpanel now has IMP webmail Smile

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:05 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yes, I personally now have all my sites on CPanel accounts. What I dislike most about CPanel is it's design, but most hosts now have their own themes anyway Smile

CPanel has more features than Plesk, and it fully supports subdomains. In Plesk, they count as another domain, which means that a lot of hosts severely limit subdomains, because they have a limit on how many domains they can have (the unlimited domains licence costs a lot more than the other licences).

CPanel also now has IMP Webmail, but a lot of hosts haven't upgraded yet Rolling Eyes There's still a small "bug" though: it says "Sent by IMP" at the bottom of all emails... Not very professional Wink

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:03 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Plesk - I can't slag that piece of poo off enough, it was poor with a Capital P.

CPanel - Good, has a lot of nice built in features into it, I thought it was the best thing I've ever used as a control panel until...........

HSphere (http://www.psoft.net) come along, it's cheaper than CPanel for the hosts, also has a lot of built in stuff like PHPBB2, and a search script, IMP Webmail (Yes, 3.0) and a whole host of other things that you get in any control panel. Add that to PostgresSQL and MySQL Support, and the abillity to host as many domains as you like on ONE LOGIN and ONE ACCOUNT and share space between them all and you have an unbeatable package.

I couldn't go back to CPanel at all.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Peter
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 9:46 am (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I agree about H-Sphere - although some of the features in PLESK 5 are nice, and I'd like to see them come into H-Sphere.

Justin: where do you host?

Peter

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:45 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'm currentley hosting with ecommercediscovery.com, plans on their website are for their Cpanel servers, which are a little bit more expensive, but currentley I have (Copy and paste from the email he sent me when I wanted to upgrade my account :

Quote:

- Multiple Domain Hosting (upto 4 domains)
- 150MB Disk Space
- 75MB Mysql Space
- 75MB Disk Space
- 6 GB Data Transfer
- H-Sphere Control Panel
- Unlimited POP Email Accounts (Web based email and catchall e-mail included)
- Unlimited autoresponders and forwards
- Unlimited Sub Domains
- Unlimited ftp accounts
- 10 MySQL Databases
- PHP4.12 with Zend Optimizer
- Frontpage ext
- Weblazier Stats
- 10 Mailing List
- SSH Access
- Perl
- Private CGI-Bin
- Password Protection
- 24x7 Email Support
- PhpMyAdmin Access
- SiteStudio (is a website creation utility which is considered one of the best in the industry)

Monthly Price: US$8.00

If you willing to move onto low end system, I could probably throw you more space and bandwidth at the same pricing.

Darren hosts there as well now, not had any problems to speak of, had one issue a few weeks ago when someone was using a CGI Proxy / CGI UBB making the server load shoot up to about 15, but they've been kicked off the server since.....

Last edited by Justin on Mon Sep 23, 2002 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 5:45 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yeah, overall they've been really good, although I have noticed over the last week or 2 I've been getting occasional server errors (is that a 500?) but after refreshing its OK again. Also the DB was offline for a while today (too many connections I believe) - was back up soon enough though.

I think Justin gets special treatment though cause my deal isn't quite so good Wink
I pay the same amount, but only have 2 domains, 100MB disk space, 50MB DB, 50MB email and 5 DBs. Still that more than meets my needs at the moment.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 6:12 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Laughing Ask for a discount or threaten to leave Wink

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 6:23 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Have a protest Wink

Meanwhile I think I'll stick with good old frontdrive...

till they do a cyberwings.. which will be hopefully never, or till I get told to get lost for using too much server resources for my insistance on using YaBB SE with 30 users online most of the time :'(

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 6:34 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Wow! 30 users online at once! How much transfer does that use/month?

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:00 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Darren wrote:
Yeah, overall they've been really good, although I have noticed over the last week or 2 I've been getting occasional server errors (is that a 500?) but after refreshing its OK again. Also the DB was offline for a while today (too many connections I believe) - was back up soon enough though.

I think Justin gets special treatment though cause my deal isn't quite so good Wink
I pay the same amount, but only have 2 domains, 100MB disk space, 50MB DB, 50MB email and 5 DBs. Still that more than meets my needs at the moment.

I made a typo in mine, I get 150MB Disk Space, not 250MB Smile

Didn't notice any db downtime today, logs don't show anything either, But then again you may have a different DB Server to the one that I am on, As for the internal server errors, not had a single one of them ever.

Some of it might be to do with that I've been with them right from the start, was one of their first customers, he'll give you more DB's if you need them, he generally only makes me pay for more space / bandwidth, anything else he'll upgrade for free.
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:26 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
Wow! 30 users online at once! How much transfer does that use/month?

8-9 gig

Red and White Kop
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:32 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

And you don't have any ads to pay for that?

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:36 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I despise ads, rather sell my sole.

Besides its only about 9$ a month with frontdrive so its not too bad, and kind donations have covered the cost so far

Red and White Kop
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:38 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ah, well if you can get some donations, then it's OK Wink

You haven't tried getting sponsored by a host?

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page 1, 2  Next