4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Uninstaller Programs?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
billdavies
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 5:48 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hey,

Does anyone know where I can get a good uninstaller programme? I'd prefer to get a programme that can help me with previously installed programmes too (if that's possible). Freeware is best but a cheap uninstaller would still be good.

Thanks,

Bill
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by billdaviesSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteMSN Messenger
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 11:43 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

What OS are you on?

It might not be what you're after, but many versions of Windows have a basic uninstaller in the Control Panels called 'Add/Remove Programs.'

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
:::
.: :. . : :....: :.: .: :. verto .: :. . : :....: :.: .: :.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
billdavies
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 2:54 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'm on Windows 2000. I know about the add/remove programmes option but it doesn't always get rid of everything.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by billdaviesSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteMSN Messenger
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:20 pm (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Know what you mean about that. Easiest thing to do in my exp. is to use Add/Remove first, then do a somewhat carefully targeted search for a name (or names) that would let you round up most of the remaining files. This works better for uninstalling smaller and simpler apps with fewer files and less convoluted file sytems. If you're fairly careful and know what you're doing, you shouldn't run into trouble, but if you're not sure, it might pay to have your drive backed up first. Wink

For example, say you were trying to clean away WinZip. You could search for 'WinZip' in the 'Find Files' program (in the Start Menu on older versions of Windows -- I don't use 2000, but it's probably still in that menu). You probably realize that you'll need to be more careful if you've got multiple versions of a program, or integrated programs like suites, and you don't want to blow them all away at once.

I haven't personally used any other good generic uninstaller programs. You could try searching online though, and I'm sure you'd find a bunch. Here's one you might consider -- it's an online service handled on a subscription basis:

McAfee.com UnInstaller Online
Quote:
"McAfee.com UnInstaller Online is a subscription service that delivers file removal tools over the Web to enhance your system's performance.

UnInstaller Online consists of 4 features to help you reclaim valuable hard drive space by removing Internet clutter, old or unwanted programs, and junk files.

QuickClean is a feature that scans your hard drive for all the backup, temporary, and duplicate files that are always accumulating, taking up precious disk space. Then it lets you instantly delete the ones you choose, to reclaim wasted space. Quickclean will wipe out information stored in the Windows Registry, Internet cookies, emails, and pur your PC of files and junk accumulated while surfing the Internet.

Application Remover tracks down the many, scattered files that make up today's complex software products, letting you completely remove unused or unwanted applications. Removed applications are compressed and stored to let you quickly restore them using Application Restorer.

Application Restorer decompresses and re-installs applications that have previously been removed using Application Remover.

FileWipe lets you erase sensitive files completely. Unlike files deleted using the Windows "Recycle Bin," which may be recovered easily by anyone with the right software and a little know-how, FileWipe overwrites files multiple times, making them virtually irretrievable"

Of course, if you need less features, you can probably find something cheaper. To get more advice, recommendations, and reviews on this type program, you might also want to try searching for a more specialized and more frequented forum.

hope that helps. Smile

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
:::
.: :. . : :....: :.: .: :. verto .: :. . : :....: :.: .: :.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: